Is there a new 'baby' ZED on the way?

holtehero

it looks like a test mule ( underfloor, brake, etc of a new development and the upper body is an existing model to camouflage it...

dimension wise seems round about the same as the zed, not that shorter (apart from the headlamp bumper lines being pushed back a little...

Next ZeD? rather than small coupe?

Just an idea, but i knwo they were thinking of bringing out a new turbo version, limited of course, may not be smaller, jsut got s*** laods of plastic and stuff welded to it, to make you think its a smaller 350Z or just another 350Z, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm intresting ! :dry:

Autocar ran a story last week which claimed that Nissan were planning to produce an MX5 rival, based on the Urge concept car shown at Detroit last year. It was shorter that the Z, but with the same wheelbase, and used a 2.0 litre engine to drive the rear wheels.

Personally i would think with all the emission laws then its entirely feasible that Nissan might launch a smaller engined FI version

I agree it doesn't look alot different in terms of dimensions, but there are some bits of plastic on it that make it difficult to see all of the lines and whether there are any different panels

it doesn't look that different at the mo. It's just a body to cover the chasis (mule) while in development. The final car will probablty look nothing like the Z and if they take cues form the Urge concept it won't

I still think those pics are maybe 09 Zed or something like it...

a smaller engined compact sports car will not be based on the zed platform...(it would be over-engineering it! and make the cost of the car too high...)

I am going to hazzard a guess it will be based on the C-Platform of Renault Nissan Alliance (currently used for Qashqai and new Xtrail), or perhaps even a stretched version of the small platform ( MICRA, CLIO ) and this latter would make sense since we know the clio can handle 200bhp.

this is what the urge looks like

06-rside-s.jpg

I referred earlier to the story in last week's Autocar. They headed it "Nissan's Brit-built MX-5 is go", and featured a picture of the Urge concept car. They claim that it will become a production reality.

To quote them - "It weighs 1100 kg, has a 2.0 litre engine driving the rear wheels and there are holes in the doors. ... the Urge feels like it's going to be a lot of fun. ....it's stable and agile. ....We particularly liked the snug cockpit-style interior, with its high centre console. Nissan needed to build it."

I could tell you exactly what it is, but then I'd have to kill you! ;)

Here's a clue though, it's not what they say it is in the first two paragraphs of the report! :p

God i hate this, thats my line when someone asks we what new phones we are going to bring out B)