Basically, more grammatical fun, innit.

glrnet

A London School Has Banned Students From Saying “Innitâ€, Likeâ€, “Bare†And “Ain’tâ€

Surely that title has excessively used capital letters? Completely highlighted by the "And".

Basically sayin' ain't I like. Safe.

Banning list.......

"At the end of the day...."

"What it is...."

"He/she turned 'round and said...."

"Pacifically (meaning "specifically")

"Haitch" (incorrect pronunciation of letter "h")

"I was like...."

"I was / he was literally this or that"

:)

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

Teachers hate the word jamp but it's a perfectly good verb.

It really isn't. It's just more slang, as according to a very quick Google (as I had no idea what it meant) it's not in any of the proper dictionaries. And I'm not including the Urban one. ;)

About time a school did something formal like this, although it should be noted that it's an academy. Jo does this with her kids all the time, and refuses to answer their questions unless they formulate their words properly. They are from 'Arlow though, so that can be a bit of a struggle :lol:

We were banned from using the word "bodge" when I was at school. To be fair to the teacher though, we did use it incessantly and it must've driven her up the wall :blush:

• Like 1

Can somebody ban David coulthard from saying "unquestionably" at the start of every sentence.

Haha - hadn't noticed this, but I'll never miss it from now on.

So, what's starting to bug me more & more is the way everyone seems to start the first sentence of whatever they're saying with the word, "So...". It seems to have crept in, under the radar, recently - and it's just an affectation which has come over from America. "So" is a conjunction & should be used to join two phrases, not start a speech or sentence. End of rant.

"Haitch" (incorrect pronunciation of letter "h")

Haytch is apparently accepted by British English dictionaries, and is a standard pronunciation in Irish English... still seems wrong though, I use aytch.

Sounds common as muck to me :lol:

This is excellent: