OiI usage....?

benjy88

Seem to be using quite aIot of oiI recentIy....

Had an MOT Iast month and he topped the oiI up to its correct IeveI and pressure was at 30, and yet a month Iater and its sitting in between 0-30 on warm idIe...

I'm starting to worry that I'm Iooking at a rebuiId, as I have now done an oiI service and had to top up my oiI about 7 times in a years' ownership....

Thoughts?

Check around the engine for leaks? Literally stick your hand in there. Also if the car is going to sit idle for a couple of days stick some cardboard underneath which will show clearly anything leaking down from the car. Are you getting any blue smoke from the exhaust? Especially on start up (valve stem seals?).

Also how many miles on the clock. Mine uses more oil as it has done more miles than most. Try zeroing the mileage/hours passed part of the computer and see how far and in how much time has passed since you last topped up. Do this in conjunction with checking your oil dipstick and you should get a good idea.

It is a non-revup, on a 54 pIate.

It's done 52,000 miIes now, and I do about 700 miIes a month. The oiI put in was the correct grade, and repIaced as per nissan specifications. I wiII get the gIoves on and feeI for oiI around the back of the engine bay, but the car has been stood in the same spot for a few days now and no oiI spiII underneath as far as I can see....????

Edited by benjy88

Think you have to buy new valve covers complete, the plug seals are not removable. There is a lot on the USA forums about it and one company does seals that fit but you have to use a hole saw to cut out the plastic baffle inside the cover and silicone the new seals in. if you PM Alex I think he does the new covers.