Tesla Model S is the safest car in the world

AliveBoy

Check out this news article, the Tesla actually broke some of the test equipment it is so strong and it is nearly impossible to flip over due to its battery locations.

http://www.carthrottle.com/crash-tests-prove-that-the-tesla-model-s-is-too-damn-strong/

Personally I think this is awesome, and the cars will now probably sell themselves.

safe until the 400kg of lithium battery under your ass goes into a fukushima style meltdown.

Why would a lithium batter go nuclear? That's like Saying wait until that tank of napalm behind you explodes in a petrol car.

Driving around with

1) Tanks of acid under me which if leak will drain downwards onto the chassis leaving me time to get out of the car/start a small fire in an enclosed compartment which would again leave me time to get out of the car.

OR

2) Essentially a bomb (engine) under my bonnet with boiling water and oil around it and its liquefied fuel pressurised in a tank bolted to the underside of the car which should it go wrong will explode...

I think I'd prefer the acid thanks.

30k for the s model, 300miles per charge and takes allnight to charge up.. getting better but they need better battery technology

I thought it was more like £80K, a Nissan Leaf costs £30K. If it really does only cost £30K its the bargin of the centry and i'll be first in line to order one!

• 1 month later...

^^ Beat me to the link, and I've put a deposit down on a BMW i3. How long til I catch on fire?!

Tabloid news article to be fair as it's an extremely unlikely event to happen. Imagine if the same happened to a fuel tank, would have been significantly more explosive...

The reviews for the Tesla S are looking pretty impressive. 400bhp+, 400 lbs of torque at 0 rmp, 265 mile range for £5 of electricity (my 335 only has a 250-300 mile range for £90 of petrol).

Only problem I see is cost, though with those performance figures your be comparing it to things like a Supercharge XJ/S7 etc, which aren't exactly cheap (to buy or run). Cannot wait to test drive one, have always been against the idea of buying a car on finance but this thing might just be good enough to tempt me :)

http://www.autocar.c...st-drive-review

Edited by gangzoom

They are on the right track however I do think we are a few years away of having a proper petrol killer. 265 mile range is great but I would imagine taking that thing on the back roads you would be lucky to get half of that. I remember that SLS on topgear could empty its full tank in under 15 mins ......

They are on the right track however I do think we are a few years away of having a proper petrol killer. 265 mile range is great but I would imagine taking that thing on the back roads you would be lucky to get half of that. I remember that SLS on topgear could empty its full tank in under 15 mins ......

You realise top gear isn't gospel truth right? They use poetic license to make stuff "interesting". Tesla tried to sue Top Gear in 2011 for misrepresenting its roadster on the programme and faking breakdowns.

As with a petrol engined car, spanking it round a track will use the power (fuel) far quicker than how you normally drive a car, it's all relative.