Considering a 370z

Fernandofan08

Ok guys! Been a lurker for a while about a 350z. Whilst looking I noticed that the 370z's are around £15-£16k for a manual 6-speed with the GT pack (noticed a lovely Yellow edition at £16.5k). Anyway, my current car is an RX8 which I love. I dont do alot of millage and most of it is in town, but the 8 makes me want to go out and explore the country roads and have some fun, do some car shows and just generally drive.

Does the 370z give you that feeling? Im not adverse to running costs on fuel, hell I get about 18mpg/45 miles per quater of a tank of Momentum/Nitro+ out of my RX8, from what I've read the 370z has better MPG than that. Im after a fun two seater sports car, which is involving behind the wheel, which I can learn about from doing a couple of handling days or whatever, which can change from being a relaxing drive through town into a beast on the country roads.

I often change my car every year or so, my history is 1996 punto, 2001 megane, 2006 C4, 2006 RX8. I want something truly modern, powerful, relaxing but can be a handful beast when required. A car to commit to for a fair amount of time. Id be taking the car out on finance after dropping around £5k as a down payment, so it would be a car I firmly live with for a good 4 or 5 years. My route to work is a short trip through town, onto a dual carriage way and a lovely country road; around 15 minuets drive. The 8 is warmed up by the dual carriage way and I can have a drive that puts a smile on my face. Ive read that the car is twitchy, probably by people who never owned it, is that true? It wouldnt bother me, it would be something I want to learn about rather than think im Hamilton and just blast it thinking I know everything.

I wouldn't be purchasing the car until April next year so it will probably go down abit in price, as it gives me time to save a good amount of money for the down payment but also to go and put an exhaust on, as I think every bit of advice i've ever seen recommends it. I want to do it right and not rush straight in.

So what would your advice to be? Definitely get the GT pack on a car. I dont want a black or grey 370z purely because I want the INGS front lip, Tarmac sports side step and probably a black diffuser and something on the rear to contrast with a colour. I wouldn't change the tyres until they are done for to be honest as I wouldn't push the car for a while until i'm comfy and acclimatized to it.

Thanks in advanced guys.

370s without the GT pack in the UK are rare beasts.

The only time the 370 gets "twitchy" is when your right foot/brain does not compensate for the conditions. Like your RX* when its damp/wet 325bhp + through the rear wheels means you you take the appropriate caution.

I would think again about not changing the tyres "until they are done" as the 350/370s are sublime on good quality tyres with loads of grip. I will change mine well before the legal limit and although the fronts will be less worn I'm a firm believer of 4 matching tyres with good tread. MPSS are the choice tyre atm, but I have found the Ultrac Sesstanas good - better than the RE050a's 370's came fitted with from new in terms of feel and 'playfulness'.

Come April expect s/h 370 prices to be lower than your current budget so if the car is need of tyres don't skimp and use the extra dosh to change them and have a 4-wheel alignment done otherwise you might well find it is bit of handful - remember the 370 is whole lot heavier than your RX8.

I came from a RX8 to a 370. Also loved the 8, did a lot with it in terms of travel/road trips. You will not be disappointed in performance and the extra torque is immediately apparant, that was the death knell for my 8, got a bit fed up with the lack of torque.

The interior is better quality in the Z, in terms of plastics etc, and the Connect Premium is fantastic. I had the sat nav in the 8 and although very cool with the flip up screen, ultimately was dated very early on.

The seats in the 8 were probably more comfortable, although the R3 Recaro's are shockingly uncomfortable, even with my slim hips :lol: .

Overall, it is a leap in class in terms of spec and power and you can do more in terms of modding for more gains, the 8 was very limited unless a Turbo or Supercharger was thrown at it.

Good choice to move up to, but listen to the advice on rubber ;)

Very similar position to myself a couple months back, bought one and adore it. This will be staying with me for a good few years, ticks a lot of the boxes.

Managed to get 430 miles to a tank sat at 100mph on the motorways last weekend, plus a good bit of London driving before coming back again. Not at all tiring, cruises spot on and switches into a great drivers car when you want it to, best of both worlds in other words.

Have you driven one / been out in one yet? All you'll need is a short drive to confirm it's a great car and well worth handing over the notes!

Cheers guys. In a years time, Ill probably reconsider my stance on tyres as inevitably prices come down. As im in no rush, im happy to continue saving so I can do things immediately as opposed skrimping. Glad to see the twitchyness is often imbeciles as opposed to the actual car! Im not afraid to spend money on tyres, especially as I went and spent £800 on a set of AD08's for the RX8, though I would lean towards the Michelin supers as A) Better in the rain and B) Ive had Michelin on all 3 cars before the RX8 and swear by them.

Its also nice to see a former 8 driver! Never liked the R3 Mazda6 family smile and the seats are terrible! I agree that the RX8 is pretty much a maximised standard package, only thing you can do is spent stupid money to get power which you could buy a better vehicle for, or try make it sound nicer. All I did was the aero kit and the exhaust then a rebuild with D585 coils. Simples.

Im pretty much sold on a 370z already. Put my first £350 away towards the down payment. figured if I can put £350 a month away, by April I would have around £3000 ontop of hopefully £3500-£4000 for my RX8. Even then I might wait a few more months and get another £700 then venture out with intent!

No PS13Silvia, I havn't been out in a 370z. Hell Ive never ever seen one in real life either. Im happy to wait till April so its my 24th birthday in March, insurance goes down more, get my 3rd years no claims on my 6th year of driving (lost my no claims in 2010, pulled out and hit a Kia Sedona at the side AND the back. Whilst I was parked in a parking bay and didnt even have the keys in the ignition. Just as dodgy as it sounds)

Edited by Fernandofan08

Is the clutch in the 370z as heavy as the 50kg leg press in the 350 ?

Not heavy at all buddy.

For the OP, the Rex was relatively easy to drive on the limit, very chuckaboutable, the Z is not so easy to drive on the limit, IMO, as it is a lot more powerful. This might be down to my ability, but I still give myself a good talking to after a spirited drive :)

Yeah I get what you mean Gman; The RX8 has great handling but its not got the power to push it over the limit very easy, unless your over 7.5k revs, you cant get the back end out as theres no torque or power.

Would you say the 370z is more busy behind the wheel? The RX8 was almost care free, you know it would do X speed easily and you wouldn't have to bother just point and go so is the 370z more of a 'be alert' and be ready to feel and correct as soon as possible, tease the car not just go aggressive and think it will 'just' stick?

I quite like the idea of being more aware and active behind the wheel to feel the car; I think I must have gotten used to the RX8 so quick, because its not.... well the sense of speed isn't as thrilling and the handling is now predictable, ive learnt the car and I've even learnt how to heel-toe. I know the exact speed I can take each corner on the way to work and theres no fun spark anymore. Its relatively casual and care free whereas I want something which can keep me on my toes. But ofcourse, driving within reason and not being silly. Just something with more power, torque more edge to it.

Sipar; since I've had the RX8 ive had a loose earth somewhere so ive constantly had a buzzing noise and even a whine like a supercharger which is louder than the radio on 13! So noise intrusion is nothing to bother me, especially with a gorgeous zorst and engine note!

Just be aware of depreciation. The 370 isn't a loved car by the populous in general, hence the low prices. In a year or maybe two fuel, tax and insurance will be more expensive for everyone, so a cheap 370 may lose even more than you think.

You can't help the cars you fall in love with and want though, and tbh I've never given depreciation a single thought in any of my car purchases ever.

You won't be able to push the 370 in the same fashion as the 8, and yes, you will have to be aware of surrounding conditions, there's a LOT more power going through the rears. That said there will be times where it will want to be pushed, you'll be busier, not with gear changes like in the 8, but with thinking,"Fook me, I'd better get ready for this bend".

Don't listen to Ekona, he's jealous of the 370 :lol: , and hasn't driven one long enough, if at all to give an unbiased opinion, he is good with most marque's, just not the 370 and depreciation has just about bottomed out on a 3-4 year old model, then it'll be no different to the 350, the 8 was/is awful in that respect, by far the poorest in this range of cars ;)

Honestly buddy, after about the 5-6 seconds it takes you to get up to Mway speed, you'll be left wondering what the 8 was all about. Also, don't forget, that with the GT spec you have the rev match system on the downchanges, has left me with minimal heel/toe ability now, whereas I was forever doing it in the 8.

Oh and don't tell them on the RX8OC that you're buying a Datsun, 'cause, they won't believe that anything can better an 8, far less a Datsun :lol:

Edited by The G Man
  • Like 1

Thats fine because to be honest, I dont really push the RX8 really. Depreciation is something I couldnt care less about, taking half on finance means im comitted for 5 years anyway which Im happy to do; because theres literally no other cars comparable out there IMO.

On le RX80C forum ive already said it, Nobody cares really which is how it should be! Though I know some club events I wont be welcome at as a few other members who have sold up to other cars such as GT86 are left wondering how it will all work. I get what you mean about some thinking nothing can be better. You get the old 'turbo the 8' and 'nothing will ever handle like it'. No I wont waste money turbocharging and yes things can handle better. Ben is on here who owns rotary revs, bought a 350z convertible, looks gorgeous and I cant wait to see it. Better than the 8 IMO even if the interior isnt as good as the 8.

Its like the power thing, its got enough power or remap as its about the delivery and the torque curve and how you can use it. Bollocks. If a car is slow its slow. If it doesnt have the power, it doesnt have the power whether you improve delivery or not. Its not gran turismo 5, you dont get 19bhp from a filter, 37bhp from an oil change. I get some people like to think the car they own is THE best but.... sometimes its just annoying because in frank honesty I see the RX8 merely as a Civic Type R competitor, though i get shot down for saying that quite abit lol.

But yeah. I must admit, i love my RX8 but I thought it would be better than it is. I always thought the 8 was the same as the 7 just N/A and after a while its left me wanting more. As a first sporty car though its the best thing you could start with, because then you can feel the desire for more torque and power, then with that comes the experience of heavier cars and harder handling. The 8 I guess holds your hand alot, its very forgiving because its got the power to get you out of trouble but not the power to get you IN trouble, if you get what I mean.

Don't listen to Ekona, he's jealous of the 370 :lol: , and hasn't driven one long enough, if at all to give an unbiased opinion, he is good with most marque's, just not the 370 and depreciation has just about bottomed out on a 3-4 year old model,

I'm sorry, how do you know exactly what I have/have not driven? If you could point me to the part of my comment where I said the 370 was in anyway a poor car or a bad choice, then that would be great.

OH WAIT I DIDN'T

The 370 isn't a popular car: Nissan haven't sold many at all, not compared to the 350, hence my comment. You don't see many on the roads at all, mostly because no-one wants a large-engined car with poor fuel consumption and high road tax. It's the way of the world and all large-engined cars of the same ilk have suffered equally, and unless fuel suddenly drops in price or VED or insurance is slashed then that's the way it will stay. It's great for the end user who can pick up a bargain, but don't kid yourself that the 370 is at the end of the depreciation curve. It's not, not by a long shot. Like I said, I don't care one jot about depreciation but some people do, which is why I mentioned it.

Sorry matey, but there's no need to have a pop at me and basically accuse me for slagging off the 370 when I did no such thing. I gave an opinion, and I'd like think a relatively unbiased one seeing as how I don't even own a 370. Whether the OP chooses to take that into consideration is their own choice.

• Like 1

Don't listen to Ekona, he's jealous of the 370 :lol: , and hasn't driven one long enough, if at all to give an unbiased opinion, he is good with most marque's, just not the 370 and depreciation has just about bottomed out on a 3-4 year old model,

I'm sorry, how do you know exactly what I have/have not driven? If you could point me to the part of my comment where I said the 370 was in anyway a poor car or a bad choice, then that would be great.

OH WAIT I DIDN'T

The 370 isn't a popular car: Nissan haven't sold many at all, not compared to the 350, hence my comment. You don't see many on the roads at all, mostly because no-one wants a large-engined car with poor fuel consumption and high road tax. It's the way of the world and all large-engined cars of the same ilk have suffered equally, and unless fuel suddenly drops in price or VED or insurance is slashed then that's the way it will stay. It's great for the end user who can pick up a bargain, but don't kid yourself that the 370 is at the end of the depreciation curve. It's not, not by a long shot. Like I said, I don't care one jot about depreciation but some people do, which is why I mentioned it.

Sorry matey, but there's no need to have a pop at me and basically accuse me for slagging off the 370 when I did no such thing. I gave an opinion, and I'd like think a relatively unbiased one seeing as how I don't even own a 370. Whether the OP chooses to take that into consideration is their own choice.

:lol: :lol:

no-one wants a large-engined car with poor fuel consumption and high road tax.

I own a 3.0 Twin Turbo 300zx, a 3.0 Petrol BMW Clubsport and a 4.0 V8 Petrol P38 Range Rover, I guess I didn't get that memo, lol. You're quite right though, the same thing has plagued the 370 that plagued the 300 in its day, it was a big power sports car, which was released in a time of austerity, low employment and high prices. The 300zx depreciated all the way down to a few hundred quid a few years ago, it's only just bouncing back.

Every 370z I wanted to look at was sold before I had chance to go see it. One of the main reasons I bought mine was the exclusivity you get in owning one. The market for buying the right 370z is strong as I found out over the last few months.