Narrowed it down to 3 tyres!!! Help please..

drginger

I bought a set of GT4 alloys off Bennett a few years ago and they came with Avon's and Ive never looked back. Never had any experience of grip being lost and I really push it round the twisty country roads.

I was getting the fronts for roughly £117 a corner so very good price as well.

If you're not going on track it doesn't honestly matter what tyre you have as long as they can handle the wet and they're in a set all round. I feel that chucking on MPSS (yes, they're an excellent tyre) might be overkill if its purely for going to and from work, going to see family and friends and maybe a short stint of twistys and the excess cost could be used on fuel or service.

Just my 2p - I'm sure I'll be shouted down!

Perhaps, but see this Sticky here for my opinions on the subject

What I will say is that the only keeping you in contact with the road are four very small pieces of rubber. With that in mind, is that where you want to be saving money?

Notwithstanding the fact that I have Avons on now and Bridgestone 050As on the Rays when I use them, if I was starting again now I would have MPSS because they pretty much have everything going for them.

Don't use different rear tyres to the front, it throws the cars handling off significantly. For the MPSS, they are a great tyre but don't last long. I have done 7,000 miles on mine and need a new set of rears already. No track days, traction control always on, I was surprised how short lived they were.

Well i have toyo proxes TR1 on the front which im definately not changing.. this is why i also had in mind the proxes T1 Sport as the TR1 are discontinued but people are saying steer clear so now im left feeling rather confused....

I know its not ideal but the fronts and rears have been different for 2 years and the rears are super budget and rated awfully so Im thinking whatever I get will be an improvement

It's your call. If you are on a tight budget and want to keep the fronts you may be better to get the Toyos as the nearest match.

However, the tyres are just about the most important part of the car...so just drive to the conditions or tyres you have. For normal, sensible driving this should not be an issue at all.

Ok I don't know too much about tyres but you will know when there decent for YOU'RE driving. I drive mine hard from time to time and chuck it round corners and the FK453's I've got all round grip really well in the dry and the wet there good but ive not tempted fate by pushing them too far (nor would I any tyre in the wet lol). They are a decent price too. Seem to do better than the 452's I had on previously. High speed and braking not an issue either. :thumbs:

Edited by AMT

VREDS!!!!

a ken track dayer the vreds are IMO the ultimate in road tyres with good all round grip ... switched to them from the 452's (didnt like how they held) and from the re050's before that and the re040's before that!

the vreds whilst been extremely grippy in the dry offer better wet grip than any competitor that ive had the pleasure of trying!

the only other tyres id use are Federal RSR 595's (semi slicks) available for a competitive price and outmatched only by the Toyo proxxy 888's - though at £200+ each i think they are a none contender ... neither are any good in the wet ... at all! i take a set on a spare set of rims to the track incase it is dry otherwise the vreds stay on

For the money the Vreds are unequalled IMO. I swear by them as do many of my customers!

Ben

It only takes one near miss to make you realise that spending a couple of hundred quid more on better tires could potentially save you thousands. ditto pads/discs etc.

What's wrong with the RE050s btw? Seem fine to me...

The RE050's have a relatively soft side wall, they are a good compromise between dry performance and wet performance. A very popular choice for people that dont have jap sports cars that came on RE040's and dont like the twitchyness of them in the wet.

RE050's are more of a saloon car tyre - expected to be found on the likes of a 5 series BMW - a good compromise but not ideal ... and quite expensive too

(sorry to barge in on the tyre thread guys ... im a true tyre geek haha)

The RE050's have a relatively soft side wall, they are a good compromise between dry performance and wet performance. A very popular choice for people that dont have jap sports cars that came on RE040's and dont like the twitchyness of them in the wet.

RE050's are more of a saloon car tyre - expected to be found on the likes of a 5 series BMW - a good compromise but not ideal ... and quite expensive too

Sorry, just going to have to jump in here.

You say the 050As have a soft side wall: I hope you're not comparing that to the VUS? The VUS have a very soft sidewall, which is why they offer such outstanding feel at the expense of grip (wet and dry). 050A is an OEM tyre on bothe the HR 350Z, 370Z and 9x7 Porsches, hardly saloon car tyres ;) As an all-round tyre, the 050A is much better than the VUS on everything other than feedback, but they're not exactly bad on that account.

For the money, the VUS are very good and they're the only budget tyre that I actually recommend. If you can spend more though then the 050A are superior, although with the MPSS being the same price and a gigaton better makes that a bit redundant.

You say the 050As have a soft side wall: I hope you're not comparing that to the VUS? The VUS have a very soft sidewall, which is why they offer such outstanding feel at the expense of grip (wet and dry). 050A is an OEM tyre on bothe the HR 350Z, 370Z and 9x7 Porsches, hardly saloon car tyres ;) As an all-round tyre, the 050A is much better than the VUS on everything other than feedback, but they're not exactly bad on that account.

For the money, the VUS are very good and they're the only budget tyre that I actually recommend. If you can spend more though then the 050A are superior, although with the MPSS being the same price and a gigaton better makes that a bit redundant.

I was going to say the same if a little less informed.... after having 2 sets of REO50As on a Zed they are very good tyres indeed, only criticisms after swapping to MPPS were that wet grip was not as good especially from cold, roadnoise noticably worse and feel/grip when pushing on noticeably not as good, but certainly a good tyre all the same

Sorry buddy, I meant a relatively soft sidewall compared to the RE040's

As I say very a good compromise! As a road tyre they are brilliant, generally get good wear out of them too but when the going gets really tuff there are much better options. There expensive too :-/

You really do sacrifice a bit of dry grip for wet grip with them over the re040's ... Try it you'll see ;-)

Still swear by the Vred's! Cheaper better dry performance than the 40's and wet performance than the 50's

(Note that my experience is all in a car they weights 250kg less than the 350z but will put the tyres under a lot more strain in the corners so I guess I could be wrong or more right :-/ )

Listen to whoever but RE050A's are faaaar better than Vredesteins IMO, more feedback, more wet and dry grip and more everything. And whoever said that running different tyres front and back will noticably affect handling doesnt understand the difference between handling and grip. ;)

Believe me, Ive been through a lot of sets of tyres over the last 10 years, I had 8 pairs on the back of the 350 in the first 13 months ....... the only thing I cant give any feedback on is longevity :lol:

As Ekona says "saloon car tyres" arent generally OE fitted to Porsches, Aston DB9's, Ferrari F430 and Maserati GT's :lol:

Edited by docwra