Hideous Noise... Possible Causes?

Paddy78

Went for a nice drive out yesterday and didn't notice any problems with the car... Until I was slowing down to park. There has been a bit of a clunk over bumps for a couple of months, so was going to look into the droplinks. There is now a slight grinding noise and when pulling off there is a horrible rattle kind of like a hammer drill.

The car still drives ok, but almost feels a little sluggish when pulling away. I first thought it might be the engine (As I've just fitted a torque damper), but it sounds fine when stationary at idle and when revved. I also double checked the oil and again all was fine.

So, my conclusion is something suspension related? Any suggestions on where to start or what I can check myself? Could this be that the droplinks have failed and the ARB is now rattling?

That don't sound like suspension if it's when pulling away - I'd be looking at clutch or drive line bushes rear of gearbox or maybe diff.

or maybe I just use different hammer drills to you :shrug:

Anything I can do to check any of these myself or is it an expensive trip to the garage! The noise is definitely from the front of the car. It might have been the noise that was making me think it wasn't pulling as it should.

Does it make a noise when free wheeling?

If yes not clutch

Is it only when pulling off? or on gearchnages as well?

Any judder under acceleration?

Can you get a video of the problem??

So, took the car out yesterday and nothing... can only think It could've been the brakes, but no idea what caused it? Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

Stone trapped in the brakes somehow?

Pete