The trip where you realise that you are actually very good at your job......

OV53

This isn't a trumpet blowing session at all, not in the slightest. In fact it's more a brain picking exercise as I am now a week deep into this trip and I have been stuck with probably the worst instrument tube fitter on the planet.

I know I'm not the greatest at my job but I do like to do things to a pretty high standard, you have to really as our work is up on a pedestal for everyone to see and even if it is just slightly out it can look a mess.

My dilemma is this......the guy I am working with has talked about all of the jobs he has been on and all of these unvelievable things he has done but upon actually fitting the tubing he is actually a bag of s h i t e! Now normally I wouldn't be arsed but as we are the only two fitters on the rig we have been paired together. This obviously means that when our work is assessed it will be looked upon as a team effort, rather than how well each of us has done. In 3 days I have managed to run 18m of tubing along with supports and it is nigh on perfect. On the other hand this utter tool has fitted one 6m length of tube in the same amount of time and it is all over the shop like a cheap suit, thus making the overall job look like a bag of hammers.

What do I do? I'm stuck with him for another week yet and it's driving me mental!

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Also you asked what you should do.

You should do it nice or do it twice :lol:

I need advice on how to do it nice

Or otherwise I'll have to tell him twice.

Am I just the greatest MC you've ever come across?

• Like 1

So you need help on how to fit pipe? Why not ask him?

I know I'm good at my job as the leading government body for my profession graded me as outstanding. I also train others, my last trainee was the same age as my dad. I made him go back and re do stuff all the time. I just made sure I was respectful, Bu direct. I praised the positives and clearly highlighted the negatives. And when I reassessed if he hadn't made the improvements I pulled him up on it, but helped him with it. Reassessed again repeat etc etc. I had 6 months to train mine, you sadly don't have that time frame. If h's that bad, speak to your line manager.

:welcome: to big school ;)

I spend my working life cleaning up s**t other people can't do correctly - first, second or third time around. Do it yourself, or, let some other p***k do it first, and then do it yourf****ngself anyway.

For whatever reason, some people think that at work, near enough is good enough. The rest treat things as a matter of personal pride. Guess which group is bigger? Guess which group moans most about not getting promotions and pay rises?

So you need help on how to fit pipe? Why not ask him?

I have gathered that Dblock is the least helpful of all of the contributors to this thread! :p

What do I win?

But seriously if he is better then you just ask him nicely. I'm sure he is ok with covering your mistakes.

Troll face.

But seriously. It it's important enough that safety depends on it have a word with him and if he doesnt take it on get the boss involved. At the end of the day I understand you not wanting to put your name to shoddy work but if it is a safety risk it's bigger than your reputation and your going to have to get it sorted anyway possible.

Your at work your not in the playground anymore. You get paid to do a job so do it.

Just point out to him that his work is not a good enough standard and he needs to sort it. Tell him straight that if your asked about who did what you will make it clear that his crap pipe-work was nothing to do with you.

Team working only succeeds if all parties are heading for the same goal.

If its purely your standards are higher than his and it wont matter for the job then still tell him you dont think its acceptable and prefere to work with someone who takes pride in their job. If its a skill set problem then its only a matter of time before he gets found out anyway. He cant correct things if nobody tells him its wriong.

The problem at work today is nobody wants to upset anybody.

If keeping your job depends on the outcome of the quality of the work would you be happy to lose your job or would you speak out.

Be truthful and honest in all things and you will lead a good life.

• Like 1

Your at work your not in the playground anymore. You get paid to do a job so do it.

Just point out to him that his work is not a good enough standard and he needs to sort it. Tell him straight that if your asked about who did what you will make it clear that his crap pipe-work was nothing to do with you.

Team working only succeeds if all parties are heading for the same goal.

If its purely your standards are higher than his and it wont matter for the job then still tell him you dont think its acceptable and prefere to work with someone who takes pride in their job. If its a skill set problem then its only a matter of time before he gets found out anyway. He cant correct things if nobody tells him its wriong.

The problem at work today is nobody wants to upset anybody.

If keeping your job depends on the outcome of the quality of the work would you be happy to lose your job or would you speak out.

Be truthful and honest in all things and you will lead a good life.

What he said. Perfect! :thumbs:

Best thing to do is ask him what he thinks of his work. Try to make him say he isnt as good as you or maybe isnt as good as he would like to be. And sort of take him under your wing in the nicest and least "im better than you" way.

If someone is better than you at a job, you dont want to tell them and ask them for help. But if they approach you nicely im sure he is open for suggestions

Sounds like he's a chancer, I get them at work now and again. The ones I get are agency labour and it's short term contracts,so I get rid of them and they become someone elses problem. If he's a decent guy then you could try helping him to improve, but it's annoyingly to carry someone getting paid the same wage as you.

I adopted the, "you're asking somebody who is 10 years your junior how to do the basics at a job you say you're time served in and then you still can't get it right.......and then you go on to look at me like an idiot when I explain my reasoning for doing a job a certain way and undermine me by taking out your tape measure to verify that there will be a clash if we don't do it that way? Are you for f**king real man? You are taking the p*ss right?"

To which he replied that he wasn't undermining me.

"I'm pretty certain that when you come up onto somebody else's job and then start asking them what they are doing, look at them like an idiot when they explain their method and then get your tape out to verify that the measurements given are true, it is most definitely undermining and a down right cheek coming from somebody who couldn't even fit a pipe in a snowman's mouth."

He then uttered something about not havinh this and storming off the scaffold and returning a couple of minutes later with the chargehand.

The chargehand had half a smirk on his face as he knows this fella is useless and just made a joke of the whole thing.

To be fair this guy has hung himself already, I got told today that once his first trip appraisal goes in then he won't be back.

Another bonus is that I'm being given my own project to work on by myself and it's the highest profile and priority job on the rig. The baboon is now somebody else's problem!

• Like 2