Static issues ????

gsexr

Ok guys

When i clean the old girl (yes the car not the other half) and then go out for a run i seem to get a layer of dust on the car as though its been attacted to static.

I`ve never had this with any other vehicle and wondered if anyone else has this issue.

It could be coincedence with where i`ve gone and the time of year but was happening as far back as Goodwood sushi sunday so i dont think so.

I noticed it then as I wiped the car on the wing and was amazed at how much dust had stuck to it on the journey down. About 60 miles or so.

Is it the micofibre cloths i use as i didn`t use these before the zed just stockinet. They seem to feel slightly static against your hands when you fold them.

Makes me feel like fitting a 70`s anti static strip hanging of the back of the car like they use to sell for car sickness...lol

Any advise appreciated. Where am i going wrong.

How do you guys wash your MF cloths? I just use regular bio wash tab @ 60C, no fabric softener

Lets not go there..... We`ll be talking about shreddies next and the best temp to de stain em :teeth:

Edited by gsexr

What you need though is an anti static quick detailer. Finishkare fk425 is your friend. And a damn good QD too

That. Most, or at least a fair number, of the FK range claims to be anti-static - as do a few others - which is supposed to prevent more dust from settling. And FK425 is very good.

• Like 1

I also recommend Finishkare fk425 . Leaves a fantastic shine and the dust doesn't stick to the car as easy. Was great during the recent heatwave with all the dust floating about.

Edited by delz0r

Try using an IPA solution or similar before waxing they get rid of all oils and polishes left behind tend to have anti static qualities (it will remove glaze though as it won't determine between that and polish), I use CarPro Eraser which smells much better than IPA and doesn't need diluting (neat IPA will strip your paint lol). Also as said above FK425 is very good at repelling dust and it comes in a massive bottle too lol

• 2 weeks later...

I use Chemical Guys Speed Wipe after washing and drying and between weekly washes as a waterless wash. It's an anti-static QD and does a fantastic job at giving a great shine and also prolonging the life of wax.

• Like 1