Toyota mr2 turbo vs Subaru Impreza

Dan2013

Guys,

just looking for other opinions, been looking at swapping the z for either an mr2 turbo which would be around a 1993, or a Subaru impreza either sti or wrx maybe around 2004-2005 model.. Any opinions on both? Or anybody had any experiences owning either?

Thanks, Dan

Where to start ....... very different cars TBH. I much prefer the way the 2 drives to the Impreza, and the turbo's are pretty quick with it - they are pretty impractical though and are getting long in the tooth now. The Evo is a better drive than the Impreza IMO* but are a lot more expensive, my brother is selling his MR FQ320 for around 10K, they are different league TBH.

* You will find people go one or the other here, they are both bloody good cars though :)

Ive also got a MkIII MR2 and while its the most fun of any of the above to drive its also the slowest and most impractical, but you can pick up an 02 car for considerably less than £3K which is a bargain IMO.

Why are you considering swapping a 350 for an MR2 turbo though? I can understand the practicality element with the 4 seaters but TBH a Zed whips an SW20 MR2 in pretty much every category ...........?

Unless you're desperate for turbo shove in a pretty body with just two seats, I wouldn't bother with the MR2. And that's coming from someone who loves MR2s.

My only experience with Imprezas is the New Age ones, so bug/blob/hawkeye cars. WRX is dull and feels like a taxi cab, STi cars are simply incredible in terms of pace and poise. Get the 2L engine over the 2.5L, far stronger and more revvy. I'd agree that the Evo is a more precise and quicker weapon than the equivalent Impreza, but there's a lot of gizmos doing the work for you and I always felt the Impreza was more characterful, which is why we bought one.

Why are you considering swapping a 350 for an MR2 turbo though? I can understand the practicality element with the 4 seaters but TBH a Zed whips an SW20 MR2 in pretty much every category ...........?

4 seats in an MR2??

I've had quite a few MR2's in the past, and although on paper there isn't much in it BHP wise, I would say the MR2 is the quicker car, especially with some basic breather mods and an EBC. Mine was running just over 300bhp and would eat my Zed I'd wager.

Ive got both lol and a zed ,blew the mr2 up but up till then it was great,bringing it back as a track car, Scooby bugeye is my daily, does what it says on tin 4 seats fun to drive but as others said get an sti (not literally lol)all depends what you want it for i guess

Thanks guys appreciate all the replies! Yeah I'm thinking I want a turbo car that's why I'm considering these 3.. I know the mr2 is completely different to the scoob and Evo however I saw a black one in immaculate condition the other day and still looked the bees knees! Generally most people are saying go for the sti if the scoob or a 320 if the Evo.. Don't get me wrong I love the zed to bits however I have a tendency to renew my cars too often like a plonker!

Rtbiscuit - I do like the roadster mr2 must admit however I would preferably rather buy a car with a turbo on it as appose to fitting myself.. Appreciate the help though bud!

i love my bugeye not much between them and blobeye to be honest except age and as Dan says above your better of with the later model. I just like my bugeye as there are more blobeyes about..least we know were your first trip will be after Ibiza lol

Edited by jumping350

For the STi, very. Bearing in mind they're 260bhp stock, we had the PPP on ours which is nothing more than a remap, deleting one of the cats, different backbox and a bigger fuel pump. This gave our car 319bhp, and that's on stock injectors and intercooler. Go for an FMIC and bigger injectors and you'll get a fair chunk more.

Gearbox on the STi is also much stronger (read: bulletproof) than the WRX version, so worth considering too.

• 2 weeks later...

No experience of the MR2 but had 2 scoobs & loved them both, even better than the wifes zed!! :wacko: Sti is much better car than the WRX,better spec(brakes suspension etc) tough as old boots & a bit softer than the Evo - Evo is a better driver if you're pushing hard. Maybe go for the Blobeye if you can but you might get a 'Hawkeye' if you lucky, nicer shape but has the 2.5 engine as opposed to the 2 litre - also a plus, as said before is the PPP better drive & less lag than the standard STi.

If you come accross a JDM version in either, don't discount it - even better car. Twin scroll turbo, all 2.0 litre, nitrided crank, quick rack, better ratios & rear wash wipe! this is the engine that Prodrive used as the base for the rally cars they used to built.

Where else can you get a 4 door family saloon that'll leave most performace cars behind..... 4WD.... Oh and dont forget the noise B)

Edited by smudga