spraying door handles black, d.i.y?

ddcboyle

Hey, looking to spray my door handles black, but after removing them from the door I realised theres no screws. Just those wierd rivvet things.

Is there a way to spray the door handles so its equal and good finish, or a way to take them apart and put back together again?

I thought there might have been a way to take them apart.

SInce im the cheapo on the forum and cant afford garage prices, ill look at doing passenger side during the week. Ill throw some photos up too, and try show any defects for those who want to give it a go too

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone who has resprayed their handles with actual paint, as opposed to plastidip please tell me the process they went through and what products they used?

I'm looking to respray mine black. Did you emery them down first, then apply a primer? Or does a plastic paint like Plastikote work well enough?

Cheers.

when i sprayed mine i took them off the car, and made up some small wooden wedges to hold the handles in the open position, then taped all the back section up to keep them there and keep the paint out.

Ok, cheers for that. What type of paint did you use?

when i sprayed mine i took them off the car, and made up some small wooden wedges to hold the handles in the open position, then taped all the back section up to keep them there and keep the paint out.

Did mine the same way, colour coded them to match the wheels and was very pleased with the finish.

To make things easier and to keep the car on the road I bought another set of handles from Z man Alex, still have a spare set for sale ;)

• Like 1

I just sprayed my door key fob last week, its had a week to set and dry etc in the room, but when I leave it on somewhere, it seems to sort of stick, as if the lacuer hasn't set properly. This is a week after it was sprayed?? Any idea why.

If its soft it means the clear coat is too thick and applied too quickly. Leaving the evaporating agent trapped under the harder outer shell.

god damn.... I knew I done something wrong. I can never do anything perfect first time lol.

any way to fix it? or will I need to scrape off?

if its soft and you can squidge it you could try baking it in the oven or stickng it under an infrared heatlamp. not sure on temp and time and you run a risk of it drying too quick and then cracking. at a guess try 100 degrees for 10 min.