spraying door handles black, d.i.y?

ddcboyle

no idea, but I think I sprayed too much on the layers. instead of thin coats, I sorta just sprayed until it was shiny :lol:

Ok so yes back to my initial statement. Paints too thick. It will take weeks too dry and even then its not gaurenteed

• 3 weeks later...

when i sprayed mine i took them off the car, and made up some small wooden wedges to hold the handles in the open position, then taped all the back section up to keep them there and keep the paint out.

Iv found that a little Allen key works just as well :-)

Mine have gone Gun Metal Gray :-)

I was reading this guide the other day....

http://my350z.com/forum/body-interior-exterior-and-lighting-diy/467030-painted-door-handles-removal-and-installation-4.html

apparently there is a clip on the back of the handles you can fiddle with which holds the handle open rather than using wedges etc, not even looked at mine yet though to see if this works as i have no where to store my car with no door handles attached

If anyone doesn't mind posting pics of there car with gunmetal handles that would be helpful, i need to see different shades applied to handles to find a close match to my wheels, the gunmetal i used for my badges is a little too dark so they need to be re-done too.

Jon

I have a spare set of door handles if that's any use? Was going to dip them but just not got round to it.

I know, lol, i was originally waiting to see the outcome of you dipping them and i would have bought them off you. I don't think Carbon would work with my car as it stands though hence me looking at spraying instead.

That would be very helpful, thankyou.

I'll contact you after payday if you still have them and want to sell them as my Birthday celebrations next week will probably empty my bank account.

Jon

I was reading this guide the other day....

http://my350z.com/forum/body-interior-exterior-and-lighting-diy/467030-painted-door-handles-removal-and-installation-4.html

apparently there is a clip on the back of the handles you can fiddle with which holds the handle open rather than using wedges etc, not even looked at mine yet though to see if this works as i have no where to store my car with no door handles attached

If anyone doesn't mind posting pics of there car with gunmetal handles that would be helpful, i need to see different shades applied to handles to find a close match to my wheels, the gunmetal i used for my badges is a little too dark so they need to be re-done too.

Jon

Here's my handle's post-19655-137535979185_thumb.jpg

post-19655-137535981992_thumb.jpg

post-19655-137535983853_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps

I have a spare set of door handles if that's any use? Was going to dip them but just not got round to it.

I know, lol, i was originally waiting to see the outcome of you dipping them and i would have bought them off you. I don't think Carbon would work with my car as it stands though hence me looking at spraying instead.

That would be very helpful, thankyou.

I'll contact you after payday if you still have them and want to sell them as my Birthday celebrations next week will probably empty my bank account.

Jon

Just drop me a line if you want them