Track day exhaust noise?

350Butcher

I'm booked on to my next track day at donington in August and I'm a bit concerned if I will breach the drive by limit of 98Db's with my new set up. Car has straight Berk decats and xyz y pipe with resonator fitted (with standard system fitted, the note changed but not a lot louder I didnt think) I have recently added the tanabe medallion touring system said to be 93Db's but possibly a bit more with the extra mods (but 5Db's!? When the volume doubles every 3db's roughly). Sadly I dont have any noise testing equipment to test it out myself

I'd like to get comments only from people who actually do track days with their cars if they could post what exhaust set ups they run and whether you have any issues at circuits? Just to gauge if I may/may not have any issues with mine

I'm assuming the nismo system is around the 93Db mark so if anyone is running decats with that do you have any problems?

As a note, I honestly cant believe I can drive on public road to a circuit that has a busy airport next to it, that is situated directly underneath the flight path and then have to worry if I'm too noisy to drive around it!! The councils that enforce these rules are truly not all there

Thanks in advance

When I still had the Japspeed K1 (bunged) it only read around 80dB at Donington and that is meant to be a very loud exhaust.

No chance a K1, even bunged, was only 80dB. That's barely louder than stock! :lol:

Can you pop along to a TD beforehand and get them to measure it? Failing that, hire a dB meter from Bookatrack (£13 inc p&p) and test it yourself.

Really, for the future of trackdays we as enthusiasts should be making sure our exhausts are as quiet as possible. Don't give the NIMBYs anything to complain over. If possible, pop the cats back on and the stock exhaust, at least that way you're 100% sure you'll pass.

When I still had the Japspeed K1 (bunged) it only read around 80dB at Donington and that is meant to be a very loud exhaust.

No chance a K1, even bunged, was only 80dB. That's barely louder than stock! :lol:

I was expecting it to be much more, maybe the equipment under reads at Donington or maybe it wasn't taken properly. There were cars a lot louder than mine on track that day.

Edited by Gudzy

Cheers for all the comments people

I had the Tanabe and Berks combo with standard Y, it's proper loud !!

I reckon you might be boarder line tbh.

But having the resonated xyz does make a big difference. When I only had the decats fitted with std system it was louder and a harsh noise too, not nice at all.

maybe the equipment under reads at Donington or maybe it wasn't taken properly. There were cars a lot louder than mine on track that day.

Or maybe it just senses 98db's from a point a good distance from track because its only drive by limit no static testing but I've no idea where the sensor for noise are placed. My old decatted evo with blitz nur spec exhaust used to run around with the bung out with no problems but sometimes it seems some engine notes register high on Db scale when they dont sound loud and vise versa, Its a tough one!

As people have mentioned I think I'll try and get my hands on some noise testing gear and take some readings, donington is 150miles away for me so I dont fancy turning round and going home again after 1 session

Zackerly. That one only does A weighting though, not B weighting. I can't remember now which one you use for exhaust noise though :blush:

Even at £30, you could buy one and sell it to the next person for £29, then he sells it for £28, and so on.

Zackerly. That one only does A weighting though, not B weighting. I can't remember now which one you use for exhaust noise though :blush:

Even at £30, you could buy one and sell it to the next person for £29, then he sells it for £28, and so on.

Bedford uses dB(A) so the above £15 thing would be fine: http://www.bedfordau...r-calendar.aspx

Could be worth buying a £30 version doing other weightings anyway though if you could ever see yourself using it for anything else.

Edited by HaydnH