Am I the hulk or are these nuts rubbish?

Scully

So, last week I fitting my new wheel spacers... Awesome!

Putting the lock nuts back on I sheared one fair enough I could have over tightened it in my excitement (I don't have a torque wrench).

Now got back the my car after work a week later and I see the head of a lock nut just lying there next to the car, odd. Upon closer inspection it was exactly like the one I sheared last week. I checked the wheel an it seems it has just decided to pop off whilst I was at work! Turns out all but 1 have done this.

I've never had this before... But now I'm stuck with 3 sheared nuts!! Does anyone have any possible solution?

null-6.jpg

What brand spacers are these? If they are a reputable brand like H&R or Eibach, I'd get onto whoever sold them to you and ask for replacements as this should not happen.

Only other solution I can think of is to buy a set of wheels that doesn't require spacers.

Just got the car home and had a good look. It's the studs in the spacers, try are a fraction longer that standard.

For the normal nuts that was ok as they have plenty of extra depth in them, but for the lock nuts they are too long and I'm only talking maybe half a mm but that's enough for them to be tightening onto the end of the stud rather than the wheel.

I've got some nut extractors but as they are really for rounded hex heads I'm not sure how well they will work on something that is circular in the first place. I really don't want to have to be drilling out studs.

Yes definently will be sending off and email to the supplier.

They are from JDM-Revolution who are primarily an eBay based company. I'm not going to form any biased opinion of them just yet as I will see how JDM-R want to play it from here. I'll keep you all updated... Thanks for the quick replys though

Not sure if that can be drilled, looks pretty nasty.

Try visiting your local Nissan dealer, I had a similar problem but mines still had the head? Anyways visited a few garages that couldn't take it off with there tools so my last option was Nissan and pay the big bucks, surprisingly they got the darn thing off in minutes where others failed and it was free of charge!

Yeah, they can reverse drill them. A special kind of drill but where the threads go in the opposite direction and grabs the metal on the inside to remove it.

You can most certainly snap a nut by tightening it, but id be wary of anything that just falls off overnight!

Not sure if that can be drilled, looks pretty nasty.

Try visiting your local Nissan dealer, I had a similar problem but mines still had the head? Anyways visited a few garages that couldn't take it off with there tools so my last option was Nissan and pay the big bucks, surprisingly they got the darn thing off in minutes where others failed and it was free of charge!

Ddcboyle They provide nuts to attach the spacer to the car, and you use your original to attach the wheel to the spacer like you would normally.

Don't get me wrong these appear to be decent spacers, just non standard stud length unfortunately.

Well just had a stroke of luck, as the nuts tightened onto the bolt instead of the alloy, when they sheared, the shaft that was left was loose to the touch so they just spun off!

Here's a pic of 1 of the sheared lock nuts, the last surviving lock nut and a new bolt which there was a set of in the boot. Notice the big difference in the size between the lock but and the normal nut.

null-7.jpg

Just to clarify is it your original locking wheel nut or new nuts supplied with the spacers. Most spacers only have nuts to hold the spacer on and you re use your own wheel nuts. Or did you get new locking nuts? Its not un common for locking nuts, especially oem ones to shear off. The jag ones do it and I've heard of some vw ones do it. Its often worth upgrading to mcgaurd ones.

Its the OEM lock nuts that failed. I even have the packet that they come in from Nissan,

KE409-89950 ND

If anyone is interested in the part #

Edit- it does say on the nissan packet "made in the USA".... I blame the yanks haha

Edited by Scully

Well just had a stroke of luck, as the nuts tightened onto the bolt instead of the alloy, when they sheared, the shaft that was left was loose to the touch so they just spun off!

Problem solved, all that I'm doing now is taking it up with JDM-R, the least the can do is change the stud length in there designs and pay for a new set of nuts

And no they are not new at all, look like the original lock nuts

Edited by Scully

Looks to me like the studs are too long.

Always worth checking something like that before fitting. Were the spacers 350z specific or just spacers that they say fit a 350z if you get my drift.

Got to be honest the spacers make the stance better but i dont like the idea and think wheels with a better offset to fill the arch is a better way to go.

Like most things you get what you pay for