Chris Harris on the 370z vs GT86 and Cayman S

Level 7 Boss

Here's an old, but interesting video comparing the 370z vs both the Cayman S and GT86. The 370 takes a bit of a battering. Interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

For good (or bad) measure, here's top gears review/slating of the 370z. Although it goes without saying, take what Clarkson says with a handful of salt.

http://videos.sapo.ao/zMwzniNAt550BcNzgchw

Edited by Level 7 Boss

Been covered before, some reviewers love the 370, others don't.

I am sure the Cayman is the better drivers car but for me the zed has character, is far more unique (caymans and boxsters are two a penny around here) has way more power and comes with a great forum community and some brilliant mates. If its the whole package for me there is very little out there to touch the zed for the money. Its the same reason i fell for the 350z.

Went to a friends bbq this afternoon and parked out front. Everyone saw and commented. Took some people out after they asked and it put a huge smile on their faces. Roof down, sun out, glorious sound. Was awesome and reminded why i love the car. Its about the whole package.

Been covered before, some reviewers love the 370, others don't.

I am sure the Cayman is the better drivers car but for me the zed has character, is far more unique (caymans and boxsters are two a penny around here) has way more power and comes with a great forum community and some brilliant mates. If its the whole package for me there is very little out there to touch the zed for the money. Its the same reason i fell for the 350z.

Went to a friends bbq this afternoon and parked out front. Everyone saw and commented. Took some people out after they asked and it put a huge smile on their faces. Roof down, sun out, glorious sound. Was awesome and reminded why i love the car. Its about the whole package.

Have you driven a boxster or cayman? But tbh no matter what people buy their car always has more "character". Also the power is irrelevant IMO for a few reasons 1. you can buy something with more power than either, the cayman is a goodbit lighter and whats 20bhp here or there hardly way more. Also arguably the Porsche has a better chassis and can exploit that power much better. The benefits of mid engine.

I'm not questioning that you love your car but I think your a little off the mark tbh. I think the main reason people like their car is because it fits their criteria, budget and gets them on an emotional level.

• Like 1

Um i think you must have read a different post. I said the porsche is a better car i just didnt wantone as they are two a penny. Cant see why im off the mark at all on this one buy hey ho.

Edited by Will370z

I was just asking if you have driven one. As then you could accurately compare side by side. No need to get defensive about it. You said about the power and character I was looking to see of 20bhp would make a difference with the weight.

I just thought your reasons where not very logical hence the car must get you on an emotional level. But whatever.

I test drove a 2011 Cayman S, and a new 370z GT Edition when I was opting to buy my car in December.

I opted for the 370z over the Cayman.

Why, it's quite simple. The 370Z is more of an anti-car than the Cayman.

They Cayman was terrific, very precise, very German.... However the 370z is everything the modern eco concious consumer doesn't want. @*!# manufacturer badge, terrible economy, terrible road noise, etc, etc.

I've no doubts I could of went from A to B, or around a track quicker in a Cayman S, but the 370Z would be giving me the bigger smile, hence why I chose the 370 over the Cayman.

The geeks choice would be the Cayman 9/10, it's superb, no denying it. However, it just lacks something in my eyes. It's got it all, and nobody ever like the perfect kid at school. The 370z isn't perfect, and that's why I love it.

Edited by Badgeronimous
  • Like 4

i think its a bit of an unfair test to be totally honest, the cayman has an uprated diff, expensive uprated suspension and an exhaust. if you put that on the 370z that he was testing then all he would be able to comment on is that the zed has a steering wheel that hes not too happy with the adjustment and a gear change he finds a bit sticky.

all car videos are about opinions, will has stated his so i believe its abit harsh to come back at him the way you have, hes put his opinion on here end of.

also chirs harris is a massive porsche man so he will probably be a bit biased.

• Like 1

I test drove a 2011 Cayman S, and a new 370z GT Edition when I was opting to buy my car in December.

They Cayman was terrific, very precise, very German.... However the 370z is everything the modern eco concious consumer doesn't want. @*!# manufacturer badge, terrible economy, terrible road noise, etc, etc.

I've no doubts I could of went from A to B, or around a track quicker in a Cayman S, but the 370Z would be giving me the bigger smile, hence why I chose the 370 over the Cayman.

The geeks choice would be the Cayman 9/10, it's superb, no denying it. However, it just lacks something in my eyes. It's got it all, and nobody ever like the perfect kid at school. The 370z isn't perfect, and that's why I love it.

Thats a good post. I like to read facts not made up rubbish. I get where you are coming from.

"made up rubbish" - ah you have such a way with words and the persistent little digs. Bless you sir.....

Wasn't against you but generally people on here will slag off other cars without even driving one?

I said you was off the mark, you took offence when it was just my opinion. Chill out son.

It's not all about driving the car though is it. I agree its the major part of choosing a car but for example I would never drive an mx-5 because of the image and I know that without driving one even though I know it would be great fun.

It's not all about driving the car though is it. I agree its the major part of choosing a car but for example I would never drive an mx-5 because of the image and I know that without driving one even though I know it would be great fun.

True enough but I never liked the 350z until I drove it. I always wanted an m3. Image doesn't bother me much tbh.

Its like on other forums even the 986/987 ones. Some slag off the 350z but the ones who have drove them have alot of respect for the cars.

Cars are such a personal choice, and because cars are often heart over head choices, there is often a lot of emotion attached to the car. People don't like to hear bad stuff about them. I'm sure its like someone sagging your child off to your face for some people. I'm looking at diesel family cars at the mo. Head says get the a4 heart says get the 159. Guess which is winning :blush:

Cars are such a personal choice, and because cars are often heart over head choices, there is often a lot of emotion attached to the car. People don't like to hear bad stuff about them. I'm sure its like someone sagging your child off to your face for some people. I'm looking at diesel family cars at the mo. Head says get the a4 heart says get the 159. Guess which is winning :blush:

Very true but remember what the comments on your s2k was even though most people have never even driven one.

No I do, and I know which I listen too and which I dismiss. Opinions are like ar$eholes; everyone's got one, and most are full of sh1t! :lol:

True enough. I think the 350z and 370z are great I just dont see why people have to put other cars down? Then they get defensive? I dunno.

Thats a good post. I like to read facts not made up rubbish. I get where you are coming from.

Just to be pedantic..... there are actually no 'facts' there just someones opinion :snack:

1 persons opinion is another persons 'made up rubbish' surely :shrug:

Just to be pedantic..... there are actually no 'facts' there just someones opinion :snack:

No doubt but if its an opinion with no basis e.g. lets say I say your Jag is rubbish. You say have you driven it? I say no. Then its made up rubbish. Lets now say you ask me the same question and I say yes I drove it but didn't like xyz and prefer abc then I have a valid opinion with basis.

Another example lets say I say your car is slow because its a diesel. It's rubbish with no basis. There is a right and a wrong in that sense.

If someone says i prefer the 370 because of the way it is and makes me feel etc then that is opinion.

I wasn't having a dig at will even though he seems to think I was all I said was he is off the mark. He made some statements which have no basis e.g. the 370 has way more power. Hardly 20bhp more but it weighs 200kg more and the 987 is faster in a straight line and a track although that counts for little. Thats why I said off the mark, didnt say wrong I just thought he was a little wrong :lol: .Then look at badgeronous's post. He just said well I prefer it to the 987 for these reasons. Thats cool as its his opinion on a car based on somethinhg. His was an informative insightful post. I don't see why anyone is getting defensive I never said the 370 was bad?

I like all cars as I like to think I'm a petrol head. Just because I drive a nissan doesnt mean I HAVE to love all its cars and everything about them. There are plenty of other nice cars out there.

No doubt but if its an opinion with no basis e.g. lets say I say your Jag is rubbish. You say have you driven it? I say no. Then its made up rubbish. Lets now say you ask me the same question and I say yes I drove it but didn't like xyz and prefer abc then I have a valid opinion with basis.

Another example lets say I say your car is slow because its a diesel. It's rubbish with no basis. There is a right and a wrong in that sense.

If someone says i prefer the 370 because of the way it is and makes me feel etc then that is opinion.

I wasn't having a dig at will even though he seems to think I was all I said was he is off the mark. He made some statements which have no basis e.g. the 370 has way more power. Hardly 20bhp more but it weighs 200kg more and the 987 is faster in a straight line and a track although that counts for little. Thats why I said off the mark, didnt say wrong I just thought he was a little wrong :lol: .Then look at badgeronous's post. He just said well I prefer it to the 987 for these reasons. Thats cool as its his opinion on a car based on somethinhg. His was an informative insightful post. I don't see why anyone is getting defensive I never said the 370 was bad?

I like all cars as I like to think I'm a petrol head. Just because I drive a nissan doesnt mean I HAVE to love all its cars and everything about them. There are plenty of other nice cars out there.

I think it's the way you expressed your point - it came across as a bit blunt. Choice of language can make a big difference to how something is perceived when using the written word. I won't bore you with what I do for a living, but I've learnt through experience that how you express something in writing can make a huge difference to how your point is perceived. Still, we're all grown ups here and a bit of harmless debate and the occasional good natured disagreement won't hurt us :)