Tyres wrong way round by cowboy mechanics

Argyll

Took my 350z in to a garage today to get a puncture fixed and they told me the rear tyres had been put the wrong way round! As you know they are meant to be put on in a certain direction but they were both the wrong way round. Now I would have gotten no grip at all from the rear tyres and it's surprising I wasn't involved in an accident. A previous puncture was also repaired on the car using the rubber shoelace method which I'm told is illegal! maybe someone can elaborate on this.

I've had the car since just before Xmas so I've been driving around like that without my knowledge. To make matters worse the garage whom I brought it from also never tightened the seat bolts to the floor and I only noticed this about a fortnight after buying it.

The guy who fixed my puncture said because they were round the wrong way possibly may have caused the tyres to wear out quicker! Is there any truth in this?

As you can imagine I'm furious at this. I haven't contacted the garage where I bought it from as I wanted some advice before I go off half cocked. Is there any recourse I can take towards this garage, like claiming new tyres etc? Personally I'd like to take the swine to court.

The shoelace method is where you get a long piece of rubber and jam it in the hole with glue using a sort of knitting needle type thing! I don't know the proper term but thats what the guy at the garage told me.

He also changed the tyres over for me. :)

Other than kicking a fuss with the original dealer, I don't think you will get far with this, who's to say you did not change them during the time you have had the car.

This is the value of double checking everything on delivery of some new item, including servicings (check oil is clean etc... basic but worth it...and with tyres I always walk around the car, torque check and check pressures with my own gauges...as I had a prik-fitter forgetting to torque my wheel nuts once on an old car and nearly lost a wheel)

If you kick a fuss it might make them a bit more aware the next time and give the spotty teenage technician a clip round the ear, he'll pay more attention next time... :rant:

School Boy error. I bet they have been removed and refitted to the opposite wheels by mistake.

However, I don't think you will get anything more than an apology from the supplying dealer here, it's possible they never even had the wheels off and it may have come into them like that, and even if it was their mechanic who made the mistake you will struggle to prove it and get any sort of compensation from them.

I would give them a call and let them know, but then I would chalk it up to experience and forget about it.

I got an email today. The guy was full of apologies. He's offered to replace the tyres at no extra cost and give me a free service.

Good news but I'm still reluctant to have them touch my car again too be honest. :thumbdown:

I got an email today. The guy was full of apologies. He's offered to replace the tyres at no extra cost and give me a free service.

Good news but I'm still reluctant to have them touch my car again too be honest. :thumbdown:

I'd snap them up on their offer mate. Thats not bad!

Just make sure you check everything over when you get your car back.

I'd snap them up on their offer mate. Thats not bad!

Just make sure you check everything over when you get your car back.

Free tyres + service :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Well I would say that is above and beyond the call of duty and really is an excellent offer. Fair play to that garage.

• 3 months later...