Radiator fans not working properly/overheating

julieh

Hi,

Im new to this so please bear with me. I have a 53plate 350z that is my pride and joy.

Seeing as the sun was shining at the weekend I decided to get my 'zed' out from under its cover where its been hiding all winter and get him prepped for the summer. Took it up the road to clean the brakes, got back home and it overheated on me on the driveway. We bled the system to get rid of any airlocks but it appeared that neither of the rad fans were cutting in.

I took it to my local garage yesterday and it seems that they cannot turn the fans on independently via their computer, however, they will work if tapped with a small hammer, albeit slow and only for around 20 secs. They think that I need new fans at a cost of just under 1k....As you can imagine, im absolutely gutted!

I picked the zed up this arvo, a relatively short journey home so no chance of overheating and have since spent all my time surfing the net and 'googling'.

I then came across the Auto Active Test and even though im a woman, it seemed relatively easy to carry out so decided to give it a go. Much to my amazement the fans kicked in perfectly and were spinning like they should.....!?

Now im stuck, does anyone have any ideas whats happening and where I should be going next? Temp sender maybe?

As previously mentioned, I am female but can find my way around some of this stuff if given the right help.....

Thank you

Julie.x

I would check the temp sender unit is working before anything else..

There is no sender as such as the fans are controlled by the temperature settings within the ECU.

These settings however can be changed to alter when the fans come on and go off.

Alex. :)

• Like 1

Forgot to ask ZMANALEX, do you supply the motors on their own or with fans?

Thanks ever so....

Julie,

I can supply the genuine Nissan fan motors on there own or with fans, however most just swop the fans over.

The Mishimoto fan surround comes complete with the shroud, fans and motors and represents great value at £180.00.

All in stock and good to go same/next day if required.

Alex. :)

Alex,

As I am always looking to improve my understanding of the zed, where does the ecu get its temp from? A thermocouple somewhere presumably.

Is this the same place as the temp gauge gets its temp from ?

If so would the temp gauge not show as high and the fans not come on if the thermocouple (sender) was not working even though the engine is getting hot?

Martin

So is the question for Julie " did the temperature gauge go up in the car when it overheated."

If it didn't is that why the fans didn't come on, and hence the reason they work on the auto test.

If this is the case then check the sender unit, (albeit not a traditional sender but the temperature thermocouple attached to the gauge)

If the temp gauge did go up then over to someone else :p

Edited by flyboy

Am i right in thinking that the ECU controls the fans but the ECU has to get its signal from the temp sender first? Having looked into the AA test, I also believe that the check is purely electrical and just proves that all of the fuses are working to the electrical components in the test? I still cant understand why the fans work perfectly well under test but will not work when the car is running.......Think im gonna change the temp sender first (well not me personally) just as a process of elimination. Its worth starting small and working up to big bucks!!!! Is this a good idea or am I being totally female.......?

Julie.x

• Like 1

Whatever you decide to do just be careful not to overheat too often as you'll be needing new heads otherwise plus you'll still need to sort the issue that caused the overheating in the first place. When you did your text was the engine bay warm? The reason i ask is that some parts will work when cold but once up to temp they die with the heat, i'm not a mechanic but i do sell cars for a living and i know from experience that a stich in time can save you far more in the future :teeth:

Dave.

Am i right in thinking that the ECU controls the fans but the ECU has to get its signal from the temp sender first? Having looked into the AA test, I also believe that the check is purely electrical and just proves that all of the fuses are working to the electrical components in the test? I still cant understand why the fans work perfectly well under test but will not work when the car is running.......Think im gonna change the temp sender first (well not me personally) just as a process of elimination. Its worth starting small and working up to big bucks!!!! Is this a good idea or am I being totally female.......?

Julie.x

Yes but if the gauge went into the red when it got hot then the temp sender will be working.

Just an update for all you guys out there that have been trying to help me! Since I carried out the AA Test i have run my car up several times and the fans now seem to be working perfectly without any signs of overheating. Not sure whether the test has reset something or kickstarted them into working but all is good in the hood! Maybe everything needed resetting as it sat for a few months and i had to put on a new battery? Anyway, thanks ever so much to everyone and I will keep you all posted... (Things dont normally work out this easy for me so no doubt i will be back soon with more questions)😆xxx

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I am new to this site. I have a 350Z (06 reg). I first drove a 350z on a PalmerSports track day in late 2000's and fell in love with it.

I bought one in 2012 from a friend who had owner from new, so I know the full history.

In 4 years I've had no probs and have enjoyed owning it.

Car has just over 35K and even though it is 10 years old this year it's still driving well.

That is until last month - I noticed that the Temp gauge started to rise a bit too high in traffic. So eventually took it to my local garage yesterday and the just informed me that the fans are not kicking in and need replacing. The quote for a genuine part from Nissan is £800 + Labour + VAT. So I am faced with a bill of £1,200 in January. :cry:

My Local garage advised me to have a look online to see if I could source the new Fans cheaper (or 2nd hand) and I stumbled across this post.

Few questions

1. I see a lot of posts suggesting is is relatively easy to repair (clean) the fan motors. How true is this? (I am not mechanically minded)

2. Any recommendations where I can source the Motors / Fans cheaper (ideally new)? I see ZMANALEX quoted quite a lot as a good source.

Many thanks for any advice.

Barry

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys.

Just had a similar problem with the fans on my 2006 350z (LH fan stopped working at all, RH fan only went slow...) so as per above thread I bought/installed a pair of Mishimoto fans and shroud. Job done.

except....

They both come on full or not at all....

If I start the engine (cold...) they are off. :)

If I turn on the AC both fans come on full :blush: (and stay on.... if I turn it off they both go off...)

When the rad gets warm (with AC off...) both fans come on full. Then both go off as it cycles etc. :blush:

So no single fan independent running and no slow speed running.

I just plugged the in. Should I have told the ECU about them or something?

It has certainly solved any overheating issues, but you can hear them over the engine / radio.... :rant:

Help?

John

Edited by johnnyboy