Which Zed ?

modd1uk

Hey guys, I'm currently looking for a 350z, took one out for a test drive today the 313PS model and loved it. But ide like to know what the difference is between the 300 and the 313, is it worth getting a 300 and tuning it, or even an older one and tuning it ? Basically I have about 12k, but i would like to spend less ideally £10.5k, the lesser the better right ?.

Should i be looking at the 313ps, or get an older one and tune it ? I know nothing about them other than the older ones were less powerful but more torque? And the earlier ones were cheaper in tax.

Any advice welcome guys.

Do you know what year the tax was cheaper ? What power are the early ones ?

Anything registered before mid March 2006 is in the lower tax bracket. Power on earlier ones in BHP are pre facelift 276, Facelift 296 and 309 the 313ps models.

Nothing wrong with the earlier models but 313's are the ones to go for.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

There seems to be very few 313's for sale, 20 on auto trader. Not worth considering an older model and tuning ? Seem to be some clean earlier ones for sale.

There were a lot less 313's sold than the earlier models, they came out just as the economy took a nose dive. Not sure you'll get much extra power out of an earlier Zed, 10-15 BHP unless of course you go down the forced induction route.

Only a gnats chuff between them in all reality you would hardly notice it power wise :thumbs:

What Dave is saying is true, the pre facelift models were in fact some 70kgs lighter so the power to weight ratio is pretty similar.

Pete

Get a 313 for the nicer interior and slightly better engine

Get an earlier one to save £££ for modding

Only a gnats chuff between them in all reality you would hardly notice it power wise :thumbs:

The 296 also has the nicer interior so don't let that swat you. If you can afford it go for a 313. I went for a 296 with a nismo exhaust and have no regrets.

I can see a tipping point coming soon with this current car tax structure where high performance cars pre 06 will fetch a higher premium because of the lower tax on them. What is it £270 pre 06 and £475 after ? the tax man gets enough out of me already so i keep sticking for cars up to 05.

A £200 difference in tax wouldnt change my mind, its less than 2 tanks of fuel, and bigger picture you will be spending a lot more on fuel andinsurance. Its all about finding the right car and when you see that gem go for it.

Best advice i can give is don't rush in and go for one because you love the noise after the test drive, keep a sensible head make sures its been looked after and is in good condition and if its all good go for it, you wont regret it.

I do have my sensible head on, just don't know enough about the earlier models and the 300bhp model. Like I said there are only 20 313 for sale on autotrader :(

hing for you would be to have a good few tests drives in each as you have a decent budget to be able to choose what model you decide on. I had quite a few test drives before i picked mine with an 8k budget looking for 03 to 05 . Even with my limited choices it came down to what it always does " the car felt just right to me " . And believe me some i drove we're dogs as the engine and gearbox felt as though they were in different postcodes.

It's a no brainer for me, get the HR (313) the only difference between it and the facelift model from 06 externally is the bonnet, but what a bonnet it is!

Also with the HR, the engine is good for 500+bhp if you choose to go FI in the future, whereas the other 2 will need the engine rebuilt.

Trust me as one of the reasonably new but 'settled in' members lol.... the tax really does not make a difference compared to its running costs... I've just spent £700+ on tyres this week... Mmmm. BUT you will love every moment of the car, its a goodun' :)

Edited by AMT

I can see a tipping point coming soon with this current car tax structure where high performance cars pre 06 will fetch a higher premium because of the lower tax on them. What is it £270 pre 06 and £475 after ? the tax man gets enough out of me already so i keep sticking for cars up to 05.

Disagree, it's been like that for years. £200 is naff all when running a performance car.

Disagree, it's been like that for years. £200 is naff all when running a performance car.

Agree to disagree as some like myself like to have the performance but have to work on a budget . The main reason i chose the Zed TBH cheap and cheerful performance with realiability. Otherwise I'd be in a 06 to 08 RS4 right now.

Agree to disagree as some like myself like to have the performance but have to work on a budget . The main reason i chose the Zed TBH cheap and cheerful performance with realiability. Otherwise I'd be in a 06 to 08 RS4 right now.

Had a March 06, RS4 - great car and cheap roadtax....best of both worlds. No more expensive to run that Z......apart from the additional 16k to buy.

Had a March 06, RS4 - great car and cheap roadtax....best of both worlds. No more expensive to run that Z......apart from the additional 16k to buy.

Was.out of my budget at the time even though i took a couple for test drives March 06 is a rare beasty and they are great fun . Apart from i had the dealer next.to me :thumbdown: Was yours the saloon.?

Mine is a 2004 GT, it's my first Zed and I am absolutely 100% totally head over heels in love with her. It's literally the best thing I've ever spent money on. I can't imagine anyone buying one and not totally loving it. If it takes a second longer to 60 than newer models then I can live with that. I test drove it, felt awesome, couldn't spend my cash fast enough. I'd have liked the newer interior, but I never get in her and feel anything other than total joy, like I've "made it". I did however put in some facelift brake clusters as they're much better, but you can do that for the savings on a couple of road tax badges.

GL with the search.

Edited by SuperStu
  • Like 2

Trust me as one of the reasonably new but 'settled in' members lol.... the tax really does not make a difference compared to its running costs... I've just spent £700+ on tyres this week... Mmmm. BUT you will love every moment of the car, its a goodun' :)

Could have been £560 if you asked me to get you them, lol!