BMW Z4

NaturallyBuilt

The Z4s are dropping in price simply due to the new model... and I'm sure there will be an even newer model imminent from BMW. The Zed is so likeable IMO because it's iconic (due to a certain Fast and Furious movie) and will never age in terms of looks. Despite mine being 9 years old, I still get some friends (albeit with a lack of car knowledge) asking me if I had bought it new in 2011.

The Z4s are dropping in price simply due to the new model... and I'm sure there will be an even newer model imminent from BMW. The Zed is so likeable IMO because it's iconic (due to a certain Fast and Furious movie) and will never age in terms of looks. Despite mine being 9 years old, I still get some friends (albeit with a lack of car knowledge) asking me if I had bought it new in 2011.

Zeds were iconic before Fast & the Furious movies, but would have increased awareness of the marque having them screaming around the movie sets.

Zeds were iconic before Fast & the Furious movies, but would have increased awareness of the marque having them screaming around the movie sets.

Yeah, fully aware of Zeds themselves being iconic prior to the F&F movies... but I was referring to the 350Z specifically! haha. Personally, I would love to get my hands on a 240Z too.... gorgeous car!

I had a 350z and now i'm driving an E85 Z4!

I sold my 350z and bought a brand new E92 sport plus. After a few months i was bored with it, so tried trading it in for another 350z but trade in prices were terrible.

I ended up compromising and trading it in against a 2009 Z4, as i bought the Z4 from a main dealer i got a fantastic trade in for the E92 as it only had 1000 miles on the clock.

Both cars are totally different, the 350z has loads more room, much more comfortable on long journeys and feels really grounded but poor fuel economy!

The Z4 is much lower to the ground, great on fuel, but a bit twitchy, due to the run flats and also tramelines really badly!

The interior on the 350z is much better, as the z4 has alot of soft touch plastics which wear really quickly. I'm having to replace the steering wheel inserts due to excessive wear with only 27000 miles on the clock.

I'm defo going to buy another 350z or 370z in the near tuture, but i'm reasonable happy just now and i'm enjoying the 31 mpg.

I think if i had bought a Z4 m coupe/ roaster i would prefer it over the 350z but they are at least another £5k like for like!

Edited by stuarty

Both cars are totally different, the 350z has loads more room, much more comfortable on long journeys and feels really grounded but poor fuel economy!

The Z4 is much lower to the ground, great on fuel, but a bit twitchy, due to the run flats and also tramelines really badly!

The interior on the 350z is much better, as the z4 has alot of soft touch plastics which wear really quickly. I'm having to replace the steering wheel inserts due to excessive wear with only 27000 miles on the clock.

Good summary :thumbs: . I'll add to that the Z4 has a much better hood operation and the hoods themselves seem more durable (one of the weak points of The 350 roadster IMHO).I also miss the parking sensors, auto wipers and auto lights that our Z4 had. Bad points on the Z4 include excessive corrosion of the alloy wheels and a ridiculously complicated seat adjustment mechanism (which failed twice). Used to take me 3 or 4 minutes fiddling around with it after Caroline had driven it :) and even after that I'd make 3 or 4 further adjustments in the first 10 miles.

Pete

• Like 1

You bought a brand new E92 with the associated depreciation but are concerned about fuel economy....

1257003814239.jpg

Yip, brand new with a £7k discount. Drove it for 6 months and when i traded it in i only lost £1500! But i could probably have bought my Z4 for around £1000 less privately, but i did get all the perks of an approved used BMW.

But when i think what i could have lost after another few months when the 4 series is released, i'm glad i'm out it.

From now on its 3-4 year old cars for me as there's just too many cracking used cars out there!

BTW the fuel economy didnt really concern me in my Zed, i was only pointing out the pro's and con's of both cars.

Edited by stuarty

Couldn't agree more :thumbs: Did the same with my MR2, still remember the day I picked it up so well.

Yep I went into the showroom said I want this colour, this spec etc so nice and picking it up knowing nobody else has owned it :cloud9:

Done me well too, no problems in over 70k just servicing and slight modding :teeth:

Did it with a golf gti a few years back, had 8 miles on the clock. had to go back to the garage for a few issues (seems a theme with me) but was great owning a brand new car that was mint inside and out. Wasnt such a great experience when it came around to selling it 8 months later when i had to go back to uni after a career change.

When i bought my new E92 i got the best deal possible after haggling with 3 dealers.

I wrote down on a piece of paper exactly what spec, colour, trim etc i wanted my E92 in and also wrote down my trade in details and the price i wanted to pay. I walked into a 4th BMW dealer handed the piece of paper to the sales man and said "if you can do that deal i'll buy it right now"!

He did and i bought it. Salesman said it was the easiest sale he's ever had!