My First Trophy

CrumbMC

Got this on my friends leaving do at Cumbria Karting on Saturday.

Kartingtrophy_zpsf490182e.jpg

I do a few tack days but have never done karting before apart from a 10 min run on my 10th birthday.

I had soooo much fun. 13 of us went. i was quietly confident but some of my friends aren't bad drivers so i didn't want to get my hopes up.

each of us do 5 8-lap heats where you start at varying places in the grid. i managed 3 1sts and 2 thirds which put me in pole position on points for the final.

some of the best fun was starting at the back and fighting my way up the field. This is the element that i really miss when doing track-days. i absolutely loved getting up the inside of my friends into the first corner and taking the chequered flag from starting 5th was definately my most satisfying moment. had a great battle round 2 corners with one mate.

My friend Kieran, who -first of the excuses- is about a stone lighter than me, with whom i'd been swapping fastest laps with all day despite not really getting a chance to race him, was in second.

I knew i had to get a good start and 'break the DRS' (lol) so that i could get some good laps in without having to defend. i knew that i was stong on the last corner and had a good chance of doing this. Managed to get a great exit out of the last corner on the formation lap (flying start) and had a bit over a second by the end of the first lap. I then pumped in some quick laps, bouncing my ass off in the seat (this really helps get speed up down the long straight out of the slow corners, but i have the bruises to show for it) and i got the gap to about 2 seconds and started to settle in.

However, Kieran smelled blood and pumped in 3 amazing laps towards the end which were all faster (just :p ) than my fastest of the day. But i had got the job done and took the chequered flag, absolutely buzzing and exhausted from the constant chase and pressure. this is possibly the most fun i have EVER had.

Taking the chequered flag was AMAZING. Some of you who read my posts will no how much i love motorsport and taking the top step of the podium was like a glipse of my dream lifestyle. Even if it was in a ware-house on an industrial estate in barrow -in-furness.

Here's a photo of the podium. i was absolutely knackered but elated. the only downside was that there was that there was no champagne. please excuse the sweat and scruffs :lol:

KartingPodium_zps4697185a.jpg

• Like 1

Well if i ever was going to win at anything it's either paintball or driving. Probably says a lot about my personality... :lol:

I'm going to go to the karting place in Warrington for my birthday i think. looks a lot more technical than Barrow and it's on 3 floors, which will be wierd

Congrats Chris! Bit different from Oulton eh?!

The karting place on 3 floors sounds well fun. I'd love to sneak into a multistory carpark one night when it's empty and razz up to the top floor and down again as fast as I can in my zed lol.

S.

Congrats Chris! Bit different from Oulton eh?!

The karting place on 3 floors sounds well fun. I'd love to sneak into a multistory carpark one night when it's empty and razz up to the top floor and down again as fast as I can in my zed lol.

S.

Yeah we were meant to go to that 3-story one in warrington but my mate who booked it l;eft it too late. you could go an give it a try. it's not far from you.

if anything it was more enjoyable than a track day because you get to race against people. The marshall was really sound as well. He encouraged racing and cheered whenever someone made a decent pass.

all in with track day price including consumables like fuel and brakes, the karting probably wasn't far off 10% of the cost of a track day. The speed is no-where near the same and the difficulty level is definitely higher in the Z though which makes a hot lap more rewarding. But the fact that I could to 10 karting GPs - in someone elses kart - for the price of one day at oulton makes a few different karting sessions seem a bit more attractive than doing a lot of track days this year.

I dread to think how many car alarms you would set off razzing up a multi with your buddy club :lol:

Can never win at karting. Always do ok, but I'm 16st, so got such a weight disadvantage over guys at 10-11-12st. Presuming equal ability, I'm maybe more than a second a lap down before I start.

Still it is great fun, and more to it than winning (although I get frustrated as I'm competitive as ****). Definitely a sport for slighter guys to excel at though.

Edited by Badgeronimous

Well done!! Always satisfying winning, especially when you beat your mates. :yahoo: Were they petrol or electric karts?

Thanks mate they were 4 stroke 200CC

Nice. :) Have you tried electric karts? Oober fun! ;)