Need family car, Tiguan R Line thoughts?

Bems

After the arrival of my first child it is apparent that the a3 sportbacks boot is too small for a buggy and the dog at the same time so need a bigger car.

Anyone owned or had dealings with the VW Tiguan R Line? It looks the part considering what it is.

Looking for SUV or estate but needs to look good and be reasonably fun to drive. Any thoughts/ideas welcome.

Ideally I'd get myself a passat R36 estate but they're like hens teeth! :/

Hired a tiguan a few years back when they just came out. Comfy, decent spec, looks nice, good car all round. The R line is a good looking car

The one we had included the auto parking, think it was the first car to put it into production? Prob wouldn't use it routinely but a cool gismo!

Thanks. The reverse camera seems to be a more commonly specced item and one I think I'd get more use out of. Did you do any spirited driving in it? I know it's not going to corner on rails but hoping it's reasonably agile.

I think the cx5 looks decent. The old kuga looked great not sure on the new one though. Qashqai would give you another option, facelift is nice and some come with very good spec lists. Cheap too

Can't remember what the tiguan was like when pushed as this was a good few years back. But it was a hire car so it was pushed lol

I had a Tiguan 2.0 tdi, it was never fun to drive but a nice car, well built with all the toys. Very comfortable. The boot is not massive. In fact for the size of the car it's quite small so I'd have a look at one to see if it's big enough to meet your needs.

Cheers. At 430 ltrs it's 60 bigger than I have at present and with the rear seats slid forward I'd say you probably get another 40 maybe. The Qashqai +2 has the best boot, in fact it's the best all round for practicality.

Will be trying the Tiguan in the next day or two. Seem to be spoilt for choice at the moment for the R Line as between a couple of garages there's about 7 for sale.

Tried a 170hp tdi skoda yeti a while back and was set on buying one. Great practicality and a hoot to drive but the missus point blank refused to get in it, said it was too ugly to be seen driving one :0

WIfe has Sport one not the R line. Got it on Feb. Really like it. Fully loaded with full leather, sat nav, park assist, parking sensors, reversing camera and heated seats.

only real difference with the R line is the wheels. I would opt one one with as much spec as possible even if it means not the R line. The 175bhp is just a simple chip that needs doing so dont rule out the 140 versions either. Sports models come with 18's a firmer suspension.

• Like 1

Shame your missus doesn't like the Yeti - think they're potentially a great family-wagon. Residuals seem excellent on them too!

Someone mentioned the Mazda CX-5, I think the earlier ones were 2.3 turbo petrol only? Presumably fairly nippy...

I know the cx7 was originally 2.3 petrol only. Not sure about the 5 but being smaller and newer I'd expect more economical engines available?

WIfe has Sport one not the R line. Got it on Feb. Really like it. Fully loaded with full leather, sat nav, park assist, parking sensors, reversing camera and heated seats.

only real difference with the R line is the wheels. I would opt one one with as much spec as possible even if it means not the R line. The 175bhp is just a simple chip that needs doing so dont rule out the 140 versions either. Sports models come with 18's a firmer suspension.

Thanks for that. My current sportback is a 140bhp which I had revo remapped 2 days after buying so I'm not ruling out doing this again.

None of the ones currently for sale are fully loaded but easy to retrofit a lot of the items.

I have also been looking at the facelift sport models as theres not much between the two in price.

Shame your missus doesn't like the Yeti - think they're potentially a great family-wagon. Residuals seem excellent on them too!

Someone mentioned the Mazda CX-5, I think the earlier ones were 2.3 turbo petrol only? Presumably fairly nippy...

I know the cx7 was originally 2.3 petrol only. Not sure about the 5 but being smaller and newer I'd expect more economical engines available?

Yep CX-7 has turbo petrol but CX-5 only has 2.0 petrol or 2.0 &2.2 diesel as far as I'm aware.

Yep CX-7 has turbo petrol but CX-5 only has 2.0 petrol or 2.0 &2.2 diesel as far as I'm aware.

You're right - it's the CX-7 I was thinking of!

Thanks for that. My current sportback is a 140bhp which I had revo remapped 2 days after buying so I'm not ruling out doing this again.

None of the ones currently for sale are fully loaded but easy to retrofit a lot of the items.

I have also been looking at the facelift sport models as theres not much between the two in price.

if your prepared to travel, Scotland seems to be popular with them. We spent quite a while looking for ours. In fact we got our before it was properly listed so the dealer thought it was standard spec without seeing the car when he priced it. Didnt realise it had 6k of extras on it. :D

I'm in Scotland, Aberdeeen :)

I've just been to see one today and unfortunately the boot was too small for our push buggy + the dog which is a shame as it's a nice car. It's the length thats more important so I can put the buggy in on it's side.

Also went to see a Qashqai+2 and that boot is just long enough. So now I know the length I just need to find out what my other options are. Possibly estate something or other, maybe touring BMW.

Yeah drove both in the past when I last considered getting a bigger car, also the xc60 which was pants.

Q5 are ok but standard spec is poor. X3 is a fantastic car and if I had/wanted to spend 35k for a well specced one I would but trying to be sensible and stick to a 20k'ish budget.

Going to look at a few estates/ big hatchbacks and maybe a new style Tuareg today. See how it goes.

So today I had a bit of a f#%k it moment and bought an 11 plate BMW x3 30d in silver. Can't wait to pick it up Saturday. First owner specced it to buggery. It almost a match for the zed in acceleration too yet returns a family friendly 40+ to the gallon, the wife is happy. :)

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland and love it, powerful, high spec but to be honest you probably get more room in an estate car.

Yep your right. Looked at passats and the likes a few days back and even they weren't big enough to sit the buggy in lenthg ways on it's side. Mondeo estate and octavia fitted but other than that it was up to 5 series, E class etc which are too big for the missus. X3 is a compromise but a small at that and worth it for the performance and gadgets.