To triptonic or not triptonic, that is the question......

goose

Hi all,

Anyone out there got any views on triptonic geared Zeds?? What are they like to drive? Only had a go in a manual which I loved, but have seen a lovely looking car with the triptonic gearbox.....

Hi all,

Anyone out there got any views on triptonic geared Zeds?? What are they like to drive? Only had a go in a manual which I loved, but have seen a lovely looking car with the triptonic gearbox.....

Never seen one of them before mate didnt know they did one. With triptronic you dont have to take your foot off the accelerater, so gear change will be quicker than any pro manual gear changer, but I think that the whole advantage of the manual, is that it works you to become every bit of the car. So id personally stick to manual for the drive thrill :thumbs:

Tiptronic is only available on JDM import zeds :thumbs:

I drove one and didn't really like it. Just didn't feel like proper driving. There are others on here who have it and love it. I'd test drive both and then make your choice. As far as reliability of the two is concerned I've only ever heard of problems with manuals eg syncro mesh etc

HTH

:)

Tiptronic only available on JDM imports. I have one and I love it - the change is very smooth and the manual change gives you total control when you need it. That was the main reason I went down the import route, and I have never regretted it. :thumbs:

I've been driving tiptronics/autos for years now (though mainly to accomodate the needs of "others"...), and it's certainly great for lazy people.

But bear in mind that the torque convertor will zap about 20 horses from your bragging rights ;)

Being sat here with a dodgy knee on my clutch side makes me really wish I'd gone for one now! Depends on the type of driving you do. If you're in stop/start commuter traffic you can't beat it.

most women back seat drive anyway, so you'll be fine for now Nixy :teeth:

Moi! Actually I'm quite a bad passenger - I never dare say anything but I get told off all the time for gripping the seat or covering my eyes while the other half's driving. I prefer to be in control myself.

Moi! Actually I'm quite a bad passenger - I never dare say anything but I get told off all the time for gripping the seat or covering my eyes while the other half's driving. I prefer to be in control myself.

Control freak :starwars:

Nixy, me too, I tend to take sharpe involuntary breaths at bad moments. Net net, I haven't "remembered" to get my wife insured on my car yet.... :teeth:

I've been driving tiptronics/autos for years now (though mainly to accomodate the needs of "others"...), and it's certainly great for lazy people.

But bear in mind that the torque convertor will zap about 20 horses from your bragging rights ;)

That may be true, but I have test driven both types back to back, and I can't say that I noticed any real difference in performance overall, except that the gear changes are so fast and smooth on the tiptronic that it is hard to beat on a manual for us mere mortals. :)

That may be true, but I have test driven both types back to back, and I can't say that I noticed any real difference in performance overall, except that the gear changes are so fast and smooth on the tiptronic that it is hard to beat on a manual for us mere mortals. :)

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't trying to sound cool or anything - of course on the Zed 20hp may not be that noticable in normal driving...I'm speaking from the experience of driving a car with almost 50% less power...:(

;)

• 2 weeks later...

So does anyone actually know the difference in 0-60 times? I like the idea of being lazy sometimes, especially in traffic, but with a clear road I love to drive (shall I say it? It's seriously cheeeesssey, sod it.....) and become one with the car. If tiptronic is at the expense of the performance, it's not worth it to me.

Is tiptronic for sunday drivers?

H'mmm - why would the triptronic version be slower than manual? no clutch and changing of gears etc... and the power option on the triptronic as well should make up for a lot? I've had a race off of from standstill before with another Zed (manual) and no difference at all (where road has permitted!)

Not sure how right that is mate? not that it really matters I gues though just seems odd as you are effectively doing less 'manual, work but then also rev's are preset in triptronic and not manual - dopn't know what I'm talking about really just bored at work!! :D

H'mmm - why would the triptronic version be slower than manual? no clutch and changing of gears etc... and the power option on the triptronic as well should make up for a lot? I've had a race off of from standstill before with another Zed (manual) and no difference at all (where road has permitted!)

It all depends on the driver and conditions I suppose...basically, the auto requires a torque converter to form the connection between the engine and then tranny, thus doing the job of the clutch in a manual car. I think the nature of the torque converter is where some of the power/efficiency is lost, because there needs to be an extra bit of work before the power from the engine is transferred to the transmission. To be honest, the differences are negligible (in terms of outright performance times etc), but can look significant on paper...i.e. you can spend hundreds on a new induction kit etc to gain a few HP, but on a tip car, it'll still be less powerful than a stock manual. Or so the theory goes.

I think differences between one an the other are purely down to personal choices... the difference in performance not that bigger issue I think...

unbiased tiptronic information

http://www.carbibles.com/transmission_bible.html B)

The tiptronic system may duplicate the shift lever motion of a sequential gearbox. However, because a tiptronic transmission is an automatic transmission at its core, it still has the torque converter and usually does not shift as quickly.

But in the car park that are the UK roads... an A/T makes sense...