Lost 3rd gear

Jester350GT

Driving into work this morning and pulling off a roundabout, shifted into third and got a vibration through the whole car, clank sound and then everything seemed of. Left work and around off a roundabout into 3rd same thing happened but much worse and now no third gear. Stick goes into the gate fine but its like being in neutral. Luckily all others are working. Searching around found lots running FI breaking the braising and exactly the same kinda sound and issue. If it is this am I looking at a full new gearbox?

2003 350gt btw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sounds like 3rd is dead - be careful bits may be floating around the box and cause more damage to the other gears.

Simplest solution is a new box :)

:pmzmanalex:

He usually has them in stock

Id say you would be looking at a new box yes. Seems odd though. unless you have been treating the box badly I can see how you would have done something like worn the teeth away.

I suppose you are lucky by virtue of the rest of the gears are fine which assuming you cant hear anything hopefully (maybe) means nothing has snapped and is spinning round in there.

Ive never looked inside a gearbox but could it possible that the 3rd gear "cogs" have somhow come loose and just aren't driving anymore??

Where's Alex when you need him, or keyser!

EDIT, as I post that up pops 1 of the two!

Edited by cs2000

Alex has those too ;)

As for the differences,

CD008

Double cone synchronizers in 1st, 3rd, 4th

Triple cone synchronizer in 2nd

CD009

Double cone synchronizer in 4th

Triple cone synchronizer in 1st, 2nd, 3rd

I do believe however that the mountings for the 009 box are different to the 008 one and as such you would need to make sure you get the mountings with the box ;)

Edited by cs2000

I thought a 2003 would have a CD006?

I also believe (quite possibly wrongly :lol:) that the synchronizers in the CD009 are a "harder" metal - it is usually the synchro that goes not the whole gear, so maybe a selector fork or pin has gone :shrug:

Hope you get it sorted anyway :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...