Fuel computer accuracy

z350convert

Has anyone checked the accuracy of the average fuel consumption display on the 350z?

My experience with computed averages compared to topping up and refilling on other cars suggests they can be optimistic.

Thanks

Yes. And it is. It's not far out (usually under 4) but the on-board computer always gives me a higher number than the app I use on my phone which is accurate... or at least just as accurate as my man maths anyway.

seems to be pretty accurate to me - reset every trip and can usually work out to within a litre how much will go in using the miles and the mpg.

Which is just as well as the fuel gauge is screaming bloody murder at me after 280 miles to fill up, when i know theres a good 140 miles left in the tank!

Ok. So the 350's av fuel indicator seems pretty good if a tad optimistic but not by as much as I thought. Of course the way it's driven effects the consumption hugely but not the accuracy of the gauge.

So if I took out a second mortgage, filled the tank, drove 300 miles, re-filled worked out the mpg and then compared it with the final av on the gauge it should be very similar. By which time I would probably have been sectioned anyway but you get the drift.

In future when the memsahib grumbles about my gas gussleing, environmentally unfriendly, 350z I can point to the fuel gauge provided I have been nursing it a bit.

Question answered. Thanks to all.

I have been monitoring mine for ages (half a year) recording all fill ups on an app and I fill the tank roughly once a week. Due to the number of miles I am doing (mostly on the mway) I have been driving conservatively and the computer claims 27.4 now. The app shows an average of 23 which is a massive difference.

mine is pretty spot on as well... when bought the car - fuel gauge was telling me different levels every minute...so filled up to the top, reset trip computer etc... 2 weeks later, after a bit of maths - i configured that if i go to fill up i should get about 60ltrs... and so i did! So was using that as my fuel gauge, untill i took both fuel senders oud, cleanned them - and its all good now! :)

How long do you reckon you could drive with the dte saying zero miles? Not that I'm going to try lol

It really depends on when it comes on. I was sitting in a traffic jam on a fairly steep hill when mine dropped from around 40 to --- in about a minute :scare: . I drove about 3 miles to get home. Next day when I started up it and on level ground it was reading in the 30's, so I'm guessing as much as 60 miles. Furthest I've ever gone is about 15 miles.

Pete

So roughly, under say 'normal' town driving, what sort of reading is the fuel light & DTE flashing at you at? Mines come on at 80 & then 71 the next so I now end up filling if I'm near the fuel station at around that figure

Mine comes on at 40 or just below.

Pete

from what i can gather, when i drive at "56mph" its a bit pessimistic with how far i will get. Even though ive had further than what it says i will get.

When i put my foot down, thats when it a bit more optimistic, but i doubt its recording it properly as the fuel goes down faster than what it says im meant to be getting ^^

Take it with a pinch of salt. Its close, but im sure 3mpg either way would be a good way to view it.

How long do you reckon you could drive with the dte saying zero miles? Not that I'm going to try lol

I have done over 40 miles with mine on ---- :scare:

Even then when I filled up it only took 76ltrs :wacko:

Only 76 liters? I believe the tank capacity is 76 liters..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I quite often do 50 miles with my DTE saying ---, as previous experience has taught me that even after that, i can only get 70ish litres of fule in the car, so i reckon you could probably do close on 100 miles with it telling you that you have no fuel