DVLA rip off??

stuarty

My wife received notification from DVLA today that she has to renew her photo on her driving licence. £20!! What a rip off. I'm glad I've kept my paper licence!

I only have a paper licence, it's getting a bit tatty now though. Doesn't expire till 2019.

Pete

Hmmm I thought t was compulsory to update to the new two part license..... I could be wrong but I'd check if I were you

I've checked and there's no need to update mine but it depends on the circumstances. If you change your address, your name (mainly women), want to have points removed or pass an additional test on say a motor bike or HGV then you have to change.

Pete

Just checked you are fine until 2015 when they do become compulsory

http://m.bbc.co.uk/n...siness-20968886

On my phone otherwise I'd check th dvla website more thoroughly.

Photo-card driving licences are set to become mandatory in 2015, when new paper licences are officially phased out.

I think the key word here is "new". Don't think it applies to old geezers like me who've had the same licence since 1975 :)

Pete

Well they haven't issued "new" paper licenses for 15 years...... I passed my test relatively old and I only had the option of the new style 2 part.... It's not like a government agency to lead to confusion is it ?! :lol:

Not sure what sort of licences were issued after I got mine. They changed the rules in the early 70's, before that you had to renew every 3 years (before that, you got a little book, still got mine :) ). When mine expired in 1975, I was issued with a licence till 2019, might sound good but 3 year licences cost £1, they upped them to £5 for a 70th birthday licence.

A minority still use the traditional all-paper licences, which are no longer issued. These are generally valid until the holder’s 70th birthday, as long as personal details are still correct.

Pete

Not sure what sort of licences were issued after I got mine. They changed the rules in the early 70's, before that you had to renew every 3 years (before that, you got a little book, still got mine :)). When mine expired in 1975, I was issued with a licence till 2019, might sound good but 3 year licences cost £1, they upped them to £5 for a 70th birthday licence.

A minority still use the traditional all-paper licences, which are no longer issued. These are generally valid until the holder’s 70th birthday, as long as personal details are still correct.

Pete

Interesting, i didnt pass mine until late 90's and they only offered the new 2 part license in fact i think i passed the first year they were introduced.

I dont believe they offered an alternative but i think the wording is probably a journalistic error... i know it;s highly improbable a journalist could make such a mistake :)

And as always the DVLA website is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Anyway, £20 every 10 years seems cheap compared to the rip off for your passport :)

sorry we seem to be going somewhat OT but i think it's still relevant.

Found another article :http://www.thisismon...ph-20-cost.html

Reading that they dont mention the 2015 thing but state the following:

The AA website states that if you still have a paper driving licence you don't have to worry about ten yearly updates, though you must still notify DVLA of name or address changes.

It also says that parliament has given powers to recall all paper licences so the more secure photo card licences will be held by everyone, but no date has been set for this, and the Government is well aware that it would be controversial to make everyone buy a new licence.

The AA has said that if the government insists on everyone changing, it should phase in such a move and subsidise the cost.

Keeping the details on your paper licence up to date will ensure that DVLA is able to tell you when this is happening and if you need to do something.

Edited by Fodder

Interestingly I also have a C1 (up to 7.5 tons) D1 (Up to 17 seater Bus) which have to be renewed every 5 years after the age of 45 although I'm guessing I'm exempt from that as I've never been notified by The DVLA? I also have a provisional to drive a tank apparently :lol:

Pete

Interestingly I also have a C1 (up to 7.5 tons) D1 (Up to 17 seater Bus) which have to be renewed every 5 years after the age of 45 although I'm guessing I'm exempt from that as I've never been notified by The DVLA? I also have a provisional to drive a tank apparently :lol:

Pete

Same here, not sure about the tank though. :lol:

Renew at 70.

But you already pay tax, National Insurance and thousands more on everything.

You work till mid June each year before you earn any money for yourself. (all till then goes to the Goverment)

Think the main problem is you don't get a choice, it's DVLA or the DVLA. :stir: :stir: :stir:

Not got Group H :blush: Got BE (towing) and C1E and D1E till I'm 70.

Must be because....... I have a pink and green license. Yours must be OLDER and possibly just pink. (the license that is :lol: )

Thanks for the reply's guys. It was the cost but more the hassle of my wife going for photo's etc. But if you have a passport that has been issued in the past 5 years you can go online and update your photo using your passport number.

But surely if your passport is 4 years old that would mean you would have a 14 year old photo on your driving licence in 10 years time!

Or do they issue a driving licence with 6 years until expiry??

Edited by stuarty