Rapid wear of Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s - opinions, please

ianphampton

I put my summer tyres back on a week ago - Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s. The rears were pretty low - 2.7mm is all they had on them.

I bought these new back in May 2011. Since then the car has done 23000 miles - but some of this is on winter tyres, as I swap over about November and swap back around Easter. Now I know i don't drive as much in the winter in the Zed - so, out of the 23k miles, probably 7 - 8k is on the winter tyres - which means the Goodyear Eagles have done about 15k miles.

There's a couple of points - May 1st 2012, I did a trackday at Oulton Park, and October last year I did 4 laps at Nurburgring. ( :teeth: )

Even allowing for this - 15k miles seems pretty short, to me.

What do others think?

Thanks -

Nope - that seems pretty decent considering what you've done

my Bridgestones are a bit unusual in that I've done 17K on them and still a couple left in them, but the only time I get to play is/will be at the wales meet

• Like 1

Nope - that seems pretty decent considering what you've done

my Bridgestones are a bit unusual in that I've done 17K on them and still a couple left in them, but the only time I get to play is/will be at the wales meet

+1. Vreds only get me about 10-12k miles.

My original Bridgestone rears were barely legal after 10k and I don't really understand why. I can't really imagine anyone being kinder on their tyres than me :surrender: . My Capri 2.8i had done 19k on the original tyres and still had at least 3k left in them and I've slowed down a fair bit since then.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

OK, many Thanks for your comments, I'll just take the rear tyre wear as a Zed consumable item

I was lucky enough to find a pair of new rear tyres for her (GSD3 are not being made any more?) so at I don't have to swap all four and will get another couple of years before having to buy all 4 corners again

Thanks again

the gsd3 are a soft compound, but thats what made them good.

+1 although I personally found they didnt suit the zed. But they where awesome on all my other cars. The f1a2's are better, last longer, are better in the wet and quieter. They also don't shred over gravel.