Shocked!

gringo

So....... After getting my Zed in the week it's time for me to venture into the world of detailing. All I can say is how shocked I am after doing my first clay bar. The dirt that came off was incredible! A quick question.......the clay gets full of contamination, how often or when should I replace it? I'll be starting the next stage soon! 20130316_162857.jpg20130316_165247.jpg

Edited by gringo
  • Like 1

Keep folding the clay in on itself over and over again. As soon as you can't get it looking clean replace. I found on a car never previously clayed you will probably get a single full decon from it and then the bin.... But I the future will last a lot longer. Wait til you see iron x and what crud that shifts

When claying I have a. Bucket with small amount of warm soapy water. When folding it as downhuman says clean it in the water at the same time to remove some off the stuff from the clay. The soapy water acts as a lube too

Agree mate. I'm not convinced of massive differences of finish between wax a and wax b on an immaculate prepped car. In fact, I can see difference between wax and sealants, and prefer the latter. But not between each wax etc. Another winner for me is nano tech sealants. Amazing durability and looks on par with anything else. But way longer lasting

Iron x is pretty cool, removes contamination from atmospheric fall out. Some of this fall out can be statically attracted to you cars body work, therefore all you do when you wash your car is move it about, i.e. iron fall out from railway tracks etc. iron x dissolves these particles and you simply rinse it off. It turns the particles purple!

Yeah I must admit I wash the car, don't rinse and then clay using the soapy water. Then I rinse. But then again I'm very careful, use pre cleaners like snow foam and grit guard / 2bm combo so feel I can get away with it

I wash, rinse, then fresh water with extra shampoo

So is iron x a spray? Does it remove tar spots?

In answer to how often should you clay, it's down to usage more than anything. But a good rule of thumb, as you can't feel all the bonded contaminants with your fingertips, put your hand inside a very, very filmy, clear plastic bag, and run your finger tips over the paint. You'll then be able to feel where all the contaminants are bonded to the paint.

I use a very clever type of bar, not a clay bar as such. Much better for the paint.

http://www.turbowax.com/product.php?productid=126&cat=43&page=1