enjoying the detailing discussion, what about this?

keiran D

some really good discussions at the minute which leads me to seek a bit of advise myself.

im ordering a kestral da6 and have this plan in mine when i get a good day...

wash

clay autoglym kit

autoglym paint cleanse

megs 105 to correct swirl

megs 205 finishing polish

cleanse again? to remove polish oils etc

megs caranuba wax

im unsure on the cleanse? would you do it after the clay and again after the polish to ensure a perfect surface for a better wax?

the products listed are what i already own or what comes with the da6 kit .

discuss!

keiran

The AG HD cleanser is designed for use just before the HD wax. Ive used it and its really good.

I used iron x, then, AG clay kit, AG SRP, AG cleanser then AG HD wax. I also use the aqua wax in between waxes.

I tried the dodo juice stuff and hated it, especially the red mist detailer spray found it really greasy!!

Edited by stuarty

Cleanse after the polish - I would add in a decon. stage though. AG Cleanse will remove the oils left by the polish ready for the wax, you'll see no benefit of using it before the polish which would remove the base left by the cleanse.

I tend to; snow foam, rinse, wash, rinse, clay, decontaminate (Wolfs Decon/Iron X/etc), rinse, dry, polish, cleanse, wax.

I personally wouldn't bother. If you apply the polish correctly it'll break down enough that a quick wipe with an MF will remove it all, then you can go straight to the wax stage. Each to their own though, I can see the reason for using it but I just see it as a stage that will add very little if you've done a proper job in the first place. :)

i already own the cleanse kit so depending on how much time i have will depend if i use it. lol

can't wait to got the da. the paint under light really has annoyed me from day one, Im sure the two megs stages will do a lot to correct this

Cleanse before wax depending on which polish you use. As said above, if it breaks down properly then you're fine, but if you're using AG SRP, it has fillers/silicone which you'll want to remove so cleanse the paint before wax.

If in doubt do what you feel like, at the end of the day the most important phase is removing the defects, anything after that is just adding a few percent of perceived benefit ;)

Got some doubts now myself, to date I have cleaned the paintwork after claying, then polished, buffed off & waxed.

Worst case scenario is that the wax won't last quite as long once on the car and you're possibly wasting a bit of cleanser - but as mentioned it depends on what polish you're using and how you're using it.

Do that many people use AG SRP then? I hate the stuff, and have never seriously considered using it long term.

It seems to be fairly popular over on Detailing World so people do use it. I've found that it varies massively depending on which formula it is (which can be difficult to determine from the bottle) that I just can't rely on it to do what I want/expect it to from one bottle to the next. I do still have a bottle of it knocking around but I now only use it as a last resort when everything else has run out.

My steps would be:

Snow foam dry car

Pressure wash

Spray APC or degreaser into arches and nooks, agitate with brushes

Pressure wash

2 BM wash

Rinse

Clay

Rinse

Apply decon and or tar remover

Rinse

Dry

Then the next steps would depend on whether using sealant or wax...

But I will go with the full works in either scenario:

Machine or hand polish (proper polish no fillers)

Remove residue with ipa and check for finish without the oils present

If sealant :

Apply in line with instructions to ipa'd paint

If wax:

Apply a glaze such as clearkote red moose or prima amigo

Buff

Apply wax

And I've never rated AG SRP either... But the trick is use hardly any and it doesn't dust as much. New formula is better too

I don't really use srp that much anymore, I do use alot of AG products especially HD wax which I think is one of the best around, miles better than supernatural which I have a lot of somewhere which hasn't seen daylight for a long time

Edited by 350 Russ
  • Like 1

I use Menzerna to machine polish, micro fibre to lift any remaining residue, although it should all have broken down during the polishing process then Wet Glaze 2.0 and finish with Auto Finesse Tough Coat. No waxes used.

David