New Belts Fitted - A few small problems

Dave-350

Guys/girls,

A few of you may know that on the weekend as I was driving to a hotel for the night by drive belt snapped, actually both of them failed and I was stranded on the motorway!

Anyway, I ordered the new belts from Zmanalex and with a bit of advice from Mark at abbey motorsport I fitted the belts yesterday!

I now have a few side effects that I am trying to sort out.

1. The belts are the correct size specified by Alex, Nissan, Mark... But I can not get enough tension on them, the tensioner is maxed right out but they are not tight enough. Any thoughts? As I was thinking of down-sizing the belt slightly! The belts squeel like a pig when started up!

2. The power steering felt a little weird at first, I guess this is due to the power steering pump needing a litte use after the belt snapped but now when the front wheels hit a bump in the road I get a very violent shake of the steering wheel which never happened before!

Not too sure what to do about either of these issues hence why I am asking you knowledgable people!

Thanks in advance for any help.

The steering issue might be caused by the belt slipping on the steering pump due to it being too big. Have you asked alex about your problem? Have you got the HR or DE?

Sorry it is a DE buddy.

Not asked Alex yet, didn't want to hassle him just yet!

You could be right though, but it is not like the belt is that loose. But maybe...

I was just thinking youve maybe been sent the HR one by mistake or something. I dont think the tensioner should be all the way out with a new belt surely. If it it the right belt theres a vid on youtube that shows you how to stop the belt squeeling. It involves rubbing soap on the belts lol. Just dont go through any puddles or your engine will be full of bubbles haha

I was just thinking youve maybe been sent the HR one by mistake or something. I dont think the tensioner should be all the way out with a new belt surely. If it it the right belt theres a vid on youtube that shows you how to stop the belt squeeling. It involves rubbing soap on the belts lol. Just dont go through any puddles or your engine will be full of bubbles haha

Yea I did read that thread, I would go for a 6PK1163 though, I would have thought a 6PK1155 would be way too small! I guess he was very slack :)

Ideally though if there is a reason for the reccommended belts not fitting right, I would like to know why.

What caused the belt to snap in the first place? power steering pump ok? pulley move freely? your tensioner is probably a bit rusty, you could take the pulley off and have a look? just one nut holding it on.

No idea buddy, we checked all of the pulleys and they are fine! I am going to have a look at the tensioner on Saturday with my old man and see what we can do!

All the pulleys I can make out are the originals.