Buying a 350z with an Check Engine Light On

MrRoper

Or buy an ODBC reader off of amazon for 17 squid plug it in and read the code, it could be nothing major.

Why, in 2 pages of advice, has no-one suggested this? You could even drive it to another garage and get them to do it, it might be a 10p fix .........

i bought an MR2 last year, it had a big misfire and the engine light on. Took an OBD, discovered what the fault was, did a bit of research on my phone, picked the car up for half what it was worth and fixed it for £50.

Sure, the dealer is a tool but if you can get the car cheap because of the faults then why not?

Or buy an ODBC reader off of amazon for 17 squid plug it in and read the code, it could be nothing major.

Why, in 2 pages of advice, has no-one suggested this? You could even drive it to another garage and get them to do it, it might be a 10p fix .........

i bought an MR2 last year, it had a big misfire and the engine light on. Took an OBD, discovered what the fault was, did a bit of research on my phone, picked the car up for half what it was worth and fixed it for £50.

Sure, the dealer is a tool but if you can get the car cheap because of the faults then why not?

Err I did suggest this? :lol:

So did I, along with getting it cheaper . :wave:

Try and knock about £500 off, and see how much he will go down to...dont forget you also have

the window to do, you won't repair much on a Zed for £100..!!

Alex is the person here who has every part for your Zed cheaper than Nissan

including all you oils, service kits etc, just PM him : :thumbs:

ok so I have got him to his lowest, which is only £300 quid above what he is getting for it p/x

Assuming its just an o2 sensor I can sort that out and the window myself.. And as for the paintwork needing a polish, well polishing a car and watching it start to gleam is part of the fun of owning a Z :) apart from that the low mileage and the very straight body (not a dint or major chip in sight) and the fact that its the colour and spec I want makes me think I have just bought one ;)

I hope the issues are all resolved easily for you.

To get an idea of the window motor cost, the legendary figure that is ZMANALEX has them: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/41837-new-genuine-nissan-power-window-motors/

If you're happy with the car, including it's imperfections, and the price you'll be paying, then go for it. I hope it's a good 'un. :thumbs:

Sorry, missing the word "else" in my reply :lol:

Sorry, missing the word "else" in my reply :lol:

Hey, because it's you, you're forgiven :)

Guys,

just to let you know..i picked her up this evening. The CEL has been cleared and has not returned yet, and a window motor has been ordered from Alex. she drives great, and I have just come in from a nice 2 hour aimless cruise!

I will give her a good clean at the weekend and then get some pics up, but I am officially in the 'club' :)

Came in a bit late on this one but as its panned out I'm going to say buy the car it'll probably only be something like the O2 sensor :teeth:

Seriously though people do @*!# their pants over very common occurrences. You could buy a car with NO CEL light on and it could come on the following week! At least this way your in a position to bargain and by reading the code know exactly what's wrong with it

Been reading through this thread, glad it wasnt anything serious! Welcome to the club!

Get some dodo juice and a decent polish on it and Z will be looking B)

If you need any service parts PM zmanalex (as said before), he does a great service kit with all the bits you need.