New York Hotel ?

mick43

Hi Mick

I went last year and fell in love with the place!

We did 5 nights and I wish I'd managed to afford another 2 :(. Whatever you do don't fly BA they were crap! My Virgin experiences are much better (suit you!)

The Andaz in Wall Street is an amazing hotel - highly recommend.

Some highlights of trip:

Statue of Liberty

The beast boat trip

Def do the 3 sightseeing bus trip routes and the night tour is amazing

Top of the rock

Watch jersey boys

Watch the Mormons

Movie tour (photos of ghostbusters fire station! Sweet!)

The ride (hilarious fun!)

Cycle over the bridges

Horse and carriage through Central Park

Play the "big" piano in Schwarz

Visit to Tiffanys (but you will spend a fortune!)

And the churches there are amazing inside

Def recommend a metro card for the tube - so easy to get everywhere!

Avoid food in Times Square - so expensive and full of rude foreign waitresses! However amazing place to eat is the A salt and battery - it's a British chip shop which was fantastic!

Umm any other advice/help just ask! Lol did quite a bit of research before going! Hoping to go back in 2 years!

4 days is plenty. I satyed in the millenium hotel in times square. It was a decent hotel and a good price but any extras like internet access, food, drinks, parking etc were expensive, but as you are literally in times square with a view right out your hotel room window of all the screens. I was there for just 24 hours and I got to see all the sights, it's a good visit and I recommend the bus tours as they take you to all the tourist destinations in a day and you get on and off the bus at each tourist attraction so you choose how long and what you do at the attraction.

Edited by jell36

Went last Christmas for 4 days and it was nowhere near enough time. Stayed in New Jersey last time which I wouldn't do again. Flights booked already for this year although this time its for 7 days & am planning on renting an apartment for the week.

I miss New York :(

Top of the Rock is better than empire state although we did both

Maddame Tussauds was pretty good

Statue of Liberty was closed when I went but the boat took us right alongside it

I'd also recommend taking in a NBA game. Knicks were expensive so we went over to Brooklyn to see a Nets game

I did 7 days in NYC the christmas before last. 4 days is plenty.

I was trying to do it on a budget so stayed at a place called the Ravel hotel in queens, just over the Queensborough bridge. Average hotel but only £70 a night, which was about half the price of anything in Manhattan. However the view from the rooftop breakfast bar was worth the price alone...! http://www.ravelhotel.com/

Things to do...

Helicopter Tour

Boat trip to Liberty Island

Central Park (just to hang out on Literary walk is awesome!)

Tea at the Plaza Hotel

Go and find the Friends apartment

...but the best thing i did was go on The Sopranos tour! If you're a fan you have to go on it. Got to go to loads of locations, and i got to meet Vito from the show, and have a few shots of Tequila in the Bada Bing!

Stay in Manhattan - you CAN save money by staying in cheaper ares - but it'll cost you time. If you stay out in Hoboken or other places in Jersey - it'll take you an hour to get in to Manhattan and if you've only got 4 days you don't want to be spending ages each way on travelling

Last time we stayed in the Wolcott - 4 West 31st Street - it's pretty central and not excessive prices. OK, so it'll cost you £100 per night - but, Hey! It's Central New York! What kind of deal do you need? It's right in the middle and everything is close.

4 Days - I think 4 days is enough. The city is seriously nuts - any more than this and you'll start going nuts too. Best thing is to do 4 days - but come back again and do another 4 days in a year and then another 4 days a year after that, too

First time it's all the obvious stuff like the Statue of Liberty - but 2nd time you'll get a bit more time to just walk around, and get a better feel for the place.

Ooh - and on the 3rd trip, get up out of New York and go upstate - and then you'll start to get a bit more of an impression of what America is like. New York is fun - but there's waaaay more to see of America than just the big apple. (Go West, young man! Or at least - see New England, and then - Arizona! Get your kicks on Route 66, and so on)

Edited by ianphampton

Many thanks all for taking the time out to provide some great tips and advice :thumbs:

(I have been to N. America several times, Vancouver, Arizona etc but never New York - so looking fwd to this, as we will then fly down to Florida for the rest of a two week break :)

Always a good thing flying down to Orlando after, I did exactly that last year, was working in NYC then in Washington, flew the missus over then stayed in Orlando for a fortnight. Off back there in June but doing a week in Miami first!! Can't wait, will be my 10th time - eek!!

If you are only using a hotel as a base to see everything, and will be spending your time sight seeing an eating out, the I highly recommend staying in 'Yotel'.

It's only 2 blocks walk from Times Square. It's clean, modern, has access to the largest terrace bar in NYC, and as much muffins and tea/coffee as you can eat.