Boot hydraulics mullered, won't stay up.

Mooresy14

Sounds like one or both of the gas struts is shagged (Technical term). You can get the re-gassed or get new ones. I don't think it's an expensive job and is easy to DIY (Did our Focus a few years back and it was a 10 min job).

:pmzmanalex: as he probably will have some! :thumbs:

There are a few posts on here about them. Look it up on the Forum..

Easiest and cheapest solution is to remove the counter weight

in the boot lid, this will lighten the boot, this problem happens when the weather is cold.

You can replace them for a upgraded boot strut for about £30 per side, best to do both sides.

Good Luck. :thumbs:

I have the SGS engineering ones too. The fitting is perfect and they work well. Get the updated ones just incase you want to fit a spoiler some time, they're only a few quid extra. Also note the price they list is excluding VAT, think mine cost me £72 delivered but that's cause I'm in Nirthern Ireland.

SGS ones are easy to fit, only problem you may have is removing the ball studs from the OEM struts. I had to cut mine off but be really careful not to cut into the ball stud. Also helps if you remove the studs with the strut still attached if you find it too difficult to remove the strut whilst attached to the car.

Don’t forget to prop the tailgate open as it is quite heavy and I removed the boot plastic floor panel so I didn’t damage it.

I went for standard one, because I don't have a mahoosive spoiler that needs propping up, also have the boot weight removed.

When I phoned up to order, the lady did say that if I did decide to fit a spoiler, I could always send them back to have the pressure upped, for a small fee of course

The weight is added to make it easier to close the lid, so that it catches first time, without having to put a lot of effort into it. Ironically, the Zed often struggles to lift the lid clear of the catch as the spring assistors fail and the gas struts age, the result being that removing the weight can help with opening.

It no more affects the driving than putting any other item in the boot space, we're not talking about a massive amount of weight, just something to help overcome inertia.

Edited by Watshot

Yeh mine doesnt stuggle to shut but does struggle to open first time.

undecided as to what ones to get though...I probably will get a spoiler but not for a few months.

edit - screw it, I wont be getting a spoiler for a while so I have just this minute bought the standard ones, should get them tomorrow.

Edited by Mooresy14

+1 for SGS

I fitted the up-rated ones a couple of weeks ago, work brilliant.

On a side note, I cant believe how heavy the tailgate is!!! Only removed them one at a time but could only just lift it. :lol:

Sam,

Is it worth removing the tailgate if you fit the uprated ones? Like with the tailgate removed and you press the boot release catch, does the boot go up by itself? lol

Edited by wizard

Boot still doesn't clear the latch in its own with unrated if it didn't before, search the 2 pennies trick or pennies trick, can't remember which it is.

They also come with a fitting kit, ie. new ball joints so no need to cut anything.

Personally for the sake of about £5 a pair, there's no reason not to go updated.