350z Acceleration ?

deankenny

i sense a serious case of "zed tinted glasses" :lol:

the zed has a cheap interior regardless of model, just the newer ones are less cheap looking than the older ones. but its marginal.

the bobbly textured plastic in the zed is vile. the thin rubberised paint on the arm rests scratches just by looking at it. the brushed aluminium is the only nice touch but its evident it was built to a budget.

doesn't make it a bad car, just isn't in the same interior league as other cars

The Zed isn't noticeably any better inside than an equivalent age Impreza.

...I'm sorry what?!... Did you not check the pictures out I linked... the 313's is nothing like the impreza (fair enough you say the equivilant year cos it was kinda same plastics, but zeds still better looking in style), the older imprezas a box with box holes through it lol...even the dial cluster is rectangular...horrid. Some people having been reading my thing in detail! (its not always about the feel of the plastics!)...They look ok though...so dunno what your on about there. Put it this way, its a better styled dash than any Porsche I've seen.... (besides the very new 911), its all crap lookin straight faced dash that excites you in the same way lettuce excites me....not very.

http://images.gtcarl...es/72628978.jpg

http://images.thecar...100281347_m.jpg

Look at that centre dash...its rubbish. The Zed might not have buttons but it flows down the way up through the transmission tunnel...(i realise this is biased as I studied design...but still)...curves, design....'special' feeling. top notch leather doesn't make it special if the dash is crap.

Man...I live for this... honestly "Mr.Controversial" get it stamped under my name...c'mon!... :lol:

Edited by AMT

My apologies, you did say quivilent. I did try to work it into an edit lol

And yes, 996 interiors are chuff, as is the PCM2.1 on the 997

We agree on something! Lets be best fwiends FOREVER! :p:lol:

Honestly though.. I'd like that as my under name tag :lol: . Ps I don't mean to be annoying I'm just having fun... :group:

No sweat mate, I like people who can argue their case whilst keeping either a sense of humour or backing it up with reasons. You did both :)

I'll hopefully become a well established member at some point... :lol:

And yes.... acceleration.... its fast enough....lol I may have deviated this thread away, although was it me that started talking about interiors?...it was wasn't ...bad me :ban:

EDIT - On the subject of acceleration! My friend who I don't see too much met me down at shell when i was washing the car (no brushes!...although I did bring my own sponge :ban:) and he was like ..."wow...." et etc, so I said wait til I rinse this thing n' I'll take you out a spin....and while not being silly..showed him what it can do...and my god he near crapped himself at the speed. And yet again a very nice reminder of what I'm driving, you don't really get an idea for what it is until your back in the passenger seat (Another run Chris mate haha :lol:). If you ever sit and get bored of your Z or don't think its that special, give it a wash and take it to someone who appreciates but is not a total car nut (who might pick faults...me perhapslol) and you'll soon be reminded its special and still fairly nippy! :thumbs:

Edited by AMT

But going on your above comment, and i don't like to bring car history into it your experience of cars is limited, you came from a hyundai coupe (not that its a bad car). now i could take you out in my old S2000, slightly slower thna the zed yes, but if you think your mate shat himself i'm fairly certain i could get you to follow through on a track day, the balance was outstanding and allowed for things the zeds weight just won;t allow. or if it was a few years back and i'd taken you out in the old MR2 roadster, with its mid engine layout, yes it had only 140 bhp, but it could stop in distances and accelerate like a mean machine and on twisty roads would make a very difficult target for the zed to keep up with, able to outbrake it in the corners, but lose out in the torque on the straights. that car could do things on a hairpin that would make you wet yourself.

even my exprience is limited, i thought some of my cars had handling and braking potential. but my mate took me out in his VXR220 turbo that i think from memory was a stage 3 tune, and i swear under braking it wwas going to hemerage my spleen. when someone says it can stop on a 50 p piece youkind of shug and smile, that thing could start braking at the start of the coin and be stopped by the time it reached the other side, it was immence. and then its acceleraration would literally pin you to the chair. it had 5 point harnesses for a reason :lol:

yes the zed is a good car, its quick enough, but its not the pinnacle of motoring neither are any of the cars i've mentioned or ones that i have owned. I'd say the 911 is close,

but as for interior sweeping curves are nice and all, but when it looksl ike they used fisher price toys to nick the plastic from, it ruins the feel of the car.

lol my car ownership experience is limited, the cars I've driven...isn't ...what happens when you have friends with cars and ....you have a lot of time...or are taking your time to pick a new car (aka...the Zed maybe :blush: Test drive junkie??...lol). I have driven an S2000 in 'anger', I didn't like the engine, rough and sounded it. Handling wise, it was great, felt very light on its feet. (bit too cosy for me inside). One of the worst cars I've driven is a flappy paddel TT (new shape), test drove that from Bentley in Hamilton when I had a minor lapse of my sense :lol: ... hate those gear boxes and even tho it goes against it...too smooth... I want a little jolt when it changes. Manual the gear stick just loosly wobble about, not slick. Although the Bentley guy took me out on the M74 after me and scared the life out me...prob used to more exotic stuff like the 458's and lambos they have in lol. The 276 Zed, drove two of those, by far the worst clutch i've ever tried...

I get around with cars lol On this basis I should start test driving stuff for the next replacement purchase, god knows how long it may take :lol: (I wouldn't mind having a go in something with 400+ however, that might just show me what power is lol)

Oh I would love to drive an Elise with a bit of enthusiam, I would like to know just how good and good handling car can be. Should have asked this when I spent most of the day in Lotus picking the Z up :dry: ..hmm...lol

Edited by AMT

Heres a question (getting roughly back on topic) to anyone whos got their Zed tuned or driven other more powerful stuff... how much makes the difference. By that I mean, I realise 15bhp can make a difference but when your driving how noticable is an increase in power. Like for example, I know its a lot quicker but say an Aston V8 Vantage (380bhp), not a million miles away from 309, but would it definaltey FEEL it with that extra 71 ponies? (besides being lighter maybe?).

For example, I came from my 141bhp coupe... to 309bhp... still learning everyday, but for the most part, I'm ok with it, I can control it and I can play with it and thats a fair old jump I did. So how much extra would keep it feeling 'fresh'. As I said I don't actually get the full 'whack' now cos...well I'm driving it, is their a particular power band people feel gives you the 'kick' and stays or are we doomed to always 'get used to a car'.

I'm curious.... :snack:

Edited by AMT

My xkr in standard form Was 360bhp, but with the mods done so far its sat somewhere between 420-440 bhp, it also only weighs about 200kg more than the zed. Its not comparable on the twisties (at the moment) but for straight line power, it makes the zed feel like its static. Now in the curves, the suspension is not the weak point, but the power steering pump; its so light you lose a lot of feedback, but I'm soon going to fix that. It also differs with the auto box, I don't fiddle with gears I have kick down, and in sports mode its particularly effective. But going back to corners, the seats are very comfy but don't offer the support needed for true hard driving. You seem to think that more power is the answer. Power to weight ratio makes a far better car. For twisty work I'd far rather a lighter car possibly less power for true 9/10ths driving. Problem with more power is you can't use it. Proper use of a gearbox and an engines power band makes for far more rewarding track driving, or b road bombing. For long drives and the daily commute I love my jag, but for those occasions when you want to go for a blast down some country lanes. I'd possibly pick my old 306gti6, s2000, or mr2 roadster. Wouldn't even look at the zed keys, its too heavy. I'd class it as a mid weight, somewhere between the jag and the proper sports cars. It is after all a medium jap gt car. If a bit on the lardy side. It got the weight of the zx300, but without the benefit of the twin turbo's. Drive a fi zed and you'll feel what the car should have come like from the factory.

Edited by rtbiscuit

You seem to think that more power is the answer. Power to weight ratio makes a far better car.

Probably right, I did forget about the power to weight thing. Although on the weight comment, I am sligtly wierd, I kinda like a bit of weight, I want to throw the car around and feel like i'm doing it. I'd enjoy a lightweight thing but for overall package I'd pick some sort of GT thing (as long as it was still fun in the corners..which the Z still is...just not a precise fun :lol: Another of my superb examples ...I LOVE Lambos, would have one over any Ferrari there brilliant, offer me a Gallardo or an Aston DBS... I'd have the Aston, which shocks myself. Getting too old maybe? lol

I think I'm the kinda driver who still loves a bit of fun but isn't 'man enough' to have the full on roast with some lightweight track monster. So going full circle maybe it is the power I'm after because I'd rather have a heavy GT in the first place... just how powerful a GT is needed might be my better question?? :wacko: Sometimes I confuse myself...lol

Edited by AMT

i would never pick a ferrari, just not my style. bit too highly strung and over tuned, its the sound for me, and they don;t do anything for me. but the lazier tune and less high reving engines of the likes of lambos and astons i do appreciate. if i had the cash i'd be looking at astons or maserati's or even new f type jag for a daily driver. wouldn't say no to a gayardo. but if i had a track toy it would be light and nimble. like a caterham, elise, xbow or kit car.

i reckon the 911 sits nicly between the 2 categories, not too light, and not to heavy, plenty of punch, lots of feedback. probably put the M3 in the same box as well.

I found when pushing on with the zed that its weight became the disadvantage once you got passed a certain point. it hampers the car. great for novices to RWD as it makes the car very predictable and controllable in oversteer, but annoying when your really trying to push it.

so with regards to your question whats the right amount of power to weight, i give my 2 examples above, a 911 and an M3. yes you can get more power, or lighter cars, or more torque, or better steering response. but those 2 cars i would say are about right.

There's a lot to be said for a big car with a huge amount of power, or more importantly torque. Look at something like a Phantom: Over two tons, but it will pull without effort.

Weight though, I can never get rid of enough in a car. Especially unsprung weight, it can make all the difference and certainly does on the 350Z as anyone who's gone from OEM 18"s to the Rays will confirm. It's like night and day. :)

I watched the making of the Nissan GT-R last night on discovery, well a recording of it as i was visiting the Z Shed at the time, but got a nice text from the mrs saying she saw it on and recorded it with sky + (how many Mrs know would do that for you, without even asking, or even knowing it was on lol)

Anyway, when i got back i decided to of course watch it, and a direct quote from the main man who designed the GT-R was "whoever thinks a light car is the best for speed, acceleration performance etc is an amatuer"

so mr colin chapman was an amatuer, and lotus based all their winning knowledge on the wrong idea.

and the likes of BMW, Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini, Ferrari aston martin etc etc etc who all bring out more expensive light weight versions with half the interior missing, and carbon everything; don't do it becuase it makes it quicker or improves handling???

why have F1 teams moved from steel built cars, aluminium, to carbon fibre and now things like honey comb structures. they must all have it wrong as well???

christ why didn't i think about it, to win a race i need the lardiest car going.

that must make me a gokarting future champion then :lol:

Edited by rtbiscuit

Anyway, when i got back i decided to of course watch it, and a direct quote from the main man who designed the GT-R was "whoever thinks a light car is the best for speed, acceleration performance etc is an amatuer"

I laughed for about 10 minutes, the guy is a proper comedian. :D

Straight lines get boring after youve driven 5/600hp cars, corners are always entertaining.

I laughed for about 10 minutes, the guy is a proper comedian. :D

Straight lines get boring after youve driven 5/600hp cars, corners are always entertaining.

Did you watch it?

Im only quoting, its not from my mouth :)

Exactly. Whilst I've no doubt that the GT-R is a great bit of kit, remove a couple of hundred kg from it and it'd be even better,

Thinking about Mizuno-san's statement:

Best for speed: Determined by power and drag coefficient. GTR has plenty of one, but is lacking on the other.

Best for acceleration: Power to weight combined with driven wheels. GTR is poor on PtW (relatively speaking), but has immense traction from the 4WD.

Best for performance: Heh, define 'performance'! :lol: Yeah, I'll give him this one alright, no doubt the GTR has stonking performance figures.

What we really want is a sub-1000kg car with 500bhp and 4WD that looks like a Very Smooth Thing.