clocking

T.C

Hi all. I've got a question regarding the dials on the 350 and hope someone can help.

I'm looking for a car, 350/370 and may of found one from a garage. It's only done 21000 but at 11000 the dials were changed so it shows 10000 miles at the moment.

I spoke to the garage who's selling it and they were straight up about it. I then went into Nissan who confirmed it was done and then spoke to the Nissan garage who did the work and then I also spoke to the previous owner and confirmed all the way that the clocks were changed as a complete unit due to an intermittent problem with the fuel gauge. So, no problems a genuine fault that they could not fix so the whole clock unit was replaced and no problem since.

The warranty book was stamped to confirm exactly what was done and why so all good.

But, I would really like the clock put to it's true mileage which would mean winding it forward to read true, can this be done?

I know it's not illegal, there is no criminal offence involved but I just want piece of mind in case I ever sell the car that there is no worries for the new owner and they don't have to do the same as me and ring everyone in the world to verify it.

So can it be done, anyone done it and where can I have it done where I can keep an accurate record of what was done and why?

Possibly, but it would be easier (and cheaper!) just to get the paperwork from Nissan proving the work was done and keep that with the car instead. I wouldn't buy a car if the clocks had been fiddled with, even if it was for the correct reasons.

• Like 1

There is a legit industry for mileage correction, so if you wnated to it could easily be done. However IMO if everyone was just prepared to properly document instrument swaps etc. rather than insisting on alterations then the (very) small legit industry disappears and the massive illegal clocking market that hides behind the legit industry becomes much easier to police. Not having a dig at the OP at all here, I just can't justify in my head enabling a massive and costly illegal practice to continue for the sake of a few people's preference to have a nice matching speedo.

Personally, I'd rather buy a car with unadjusted clocks and full documentation than one that had been buggered around with in any way.

DB

Timely; http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=26717

As above, personally I'd be collating the documentation to show the true history of the car rather than amending the clocks at all. If a perspective buyer were cynical they may assume you're trying to hide something should they discover that the clocks have been fiddled with, even though you're not.

Timely; http://www.pistonhea...p?storyId=26717

As above, personally I'd be collating the documentation to show the true history of the car rather than amending the clocks at all. If a perspective buyer were cynical they may assume you're trying to hide something should they discover that the clocks have been fiddled with, even though you're not.

+1 :thumbs:

Possibly, but it would be easier (and cheaper!) just to get the paperwork from Nissan proving the work was done and keep that with the car instead. I wouldn't buy a car if the clocks had been fiddled with, even if it was for the correct reasons.

The paperwork is all together and as I've already said the book is stamped to show that.

Timely; http://www.pistonhea...p?storyId=26717

Again the documentation shows that, the history is up together.

I then take it that most would always have a niggleing doubt even though the car is officially stamped and up to date with all the proof necessary. Thanks guys I do appreciate that feedback :) I think I will have to walk away from it then.