Which tyres are best

Trev-the-Rev

The time is drawing near when I will need to renew my rear tyres. I'm in agreeance with most people's opinion of the Bridgestones and shall therefore be changing for another brand. Since I shall also not be mixing them, I will be getting a full set of whatever I decide on.

The question is, if you ignore the cost, what is the best make of tyres to get for the Zed?

Michelin Pilot Sports, (not the PS2)

but again depends on what is important for you

lateral grip, straight line feel, road noise etc...

the MPS are good for a significant increase in wet cornering performance, but they are not the quietest on motorway... or the most durable, from what i have heard...

but , http://www.tyretest.com/pkw_sommerreifen/index.html

and many people here will say toyos are best...

the MPS are good for a significant increase in wet cornering performance, but they are not the quietest on motorway... or the most durable, from what i have heard...

I suppose it all depends what your criteriaa is , Grip , Wet weather abilities , wear rate etc..

Best type that I have actually tried are the Falken 452's.. much better than the Continentals I have on now, and obviously far better than the original Bridgestones. but heard good reports on the Toyo's Michelins etc..

I think when you get to these sort of size of tyres there are not going to be many poor tyres produced (except the Bridgestones :) )

Whats wrong with the PS2's?

got Toyo R on atm and the grip is immense (and they didn't need 100's of miles to run in as some people have reported).. I will say that the sidewall is less rigid than the OEM tyres, which can lead to a bit more understeer, but I am far happier with them than with the OEM ones..

Hi,

I also need new tyres and have just been ringing round. I have a JDM with 17" alloys. The car has 225/50 R17's on the front and 235/50 R17's on the rear. I have been told that PS2's don't come in the front flavour and that I would have to use Bridgestones again... One guy thought that they should be 225/45 R17's on the front...

Surely this can't be right?! What have sizes have other people put on theirs?

Thanks,

fM

Hi,

I also need new tyres and have just been ringing round. I have a JDM with 17" alloys. The car has 225/50 R17's on the front and 235/50 R17's on the rear. I have been told that PS2's don't come in the front flavour and that I would have to use Bridgestones again... One guy thought that they should be 225/45 R17's on the front...

Surely this can't be right?! What have sizes have other people put on theirs?

Thanks,

fM

225/50 's :surrender: On a 17????? Sounds weird to me but i'm not sure about JDM tyre sizes to be fair? They sound like masssssive tyre eg a 50 aspect ratio on a 17 inch wheel!?!? :wacko:

Uk zeds have bigger wheels (18 inch) and a lower aspect ratio of 45. Maybe fellow JDM owners will be along shortly to help ya :thumbs:

Hi,

I also need new tyres and have just been ringing round. I have a JDM with 17" alloys. The car has 225/50 R17's on the front and 235/50 R17's on the rear.

fM

That's what's on mine. I intend going for Toyos when I change them. I'm going to do the rears first, then the fronts later - they don't seem to be wearing as quickly as the rears.

Tyre traders.com do the fronts for £107 and the rears for £115, delivered and fitted (mobile fitting at home costs a few quid extra).

:)

Hi,

I also need new tyres and have just been ringing round. I have a JDM with 17" alloys. The car has 225/50 R17's on the front and 235/50 R17's on the rear.

fM

That's what's on mine. I intend going for Toyos when I change them. I'm going to do the rears first, then the fronts later - they don't seem to be wearing as quickly as the rears.

Tyre traders.com do the fronts for £107 and the rears for £115, delivered and fitted (mobile fitting at home costs a few quid extra).

:)

PM Andy, he is usually pretty cheap :thumbs:

If you are buying the same brand rears as are on the front you should be ok. If you are going for a different make rears then it would be best to change the all as some people have had issues when mixing brands. On the flip side of that people have mixed brands and been fine. Personally I'd change them all at the same time for anything other than bridgstone :thumbs:

Thanks Jim!

re changing the rear tyres only, is this advisable or is it best to do all four at the same time or is it just the case of changing all four when you are switching to a different brand?

Bit of a noob, I know...

TIA

I can't pretend to kow the physics behind this, but I can't for the life of me see what harm it can do to mix brands front and rear. I accept there is a potential problem mixing brands on the same axle.

Thanks Jim!

re changing the rear tyres only, is this advisable or is it best to do all four at the same time or is it just the case of changing all four when you are switching to a different brand?

Bit of a noob, I know...

TIA

I can't pretend to kow the physics behind this, but I can't for the life of me see what harm it can do to mix brands front and rear. I accept there is a potential problem mixing brands on the same axle.

I've always understood it that if you have to mix tyres always make sure you have the stickiest compound on the front, So that would rule out Bridgestones on the front with any other brand ;)