garret gt35r to big ?

TinkerTom

has anyone got any personal knowlege of what these turbos coupled to a zed are like?... is this massively to big to run on a stock engine at the 400bhp flywheel mark? my future plans are a mid mounted single turbo set up but i wouldnt be building the bottom end for about 12 months after install. i just purely want to buy a nice brand new ball bearing turbo but not need to upgrade it in the future when i upgrade the rods pistons and all of the other associated parts for more power.

turbo lag isnt something that overly bothers me but if its not going to start spooling untill 4000rpm then il look smaller.

or if someone car reccomend anything else. it has to be a brand new garrett ball bearing range i wouldnt trust any old rubbish on my zed.

People have definitely run these as a single turbo but it's hard to work out what kind of lag they actually have because everyone who has a turbo conversion done claims there's no lag so they don't feel they've lost out to the vortech crew.

Also it seems like you've done your homework, but for me, personally, I'd be building the engine before i did anything else, especially as it's torque that kills the stock rods and you'll be getting bags of that with a big turbo, even at less than 400bhp.

DB

i didnt even realise there was a vortech crew :)... i personally know that if im aiming for the 400 bhp mark atm that a supercharger is my best option but nothing against superchargers i just personally wouldnt have one on my car.

ive had the zed on the dyno at work so many times and the torque curve is just so smooth but its not that i find the zed boring i love it and its definatly a keeper. its just that i feel it needs a bit of 'drama' to give me the satisfaction im after. i geuss thats the whole point in modifying cars to get it how you the driver wants it.

so basically its gotto be turbo but i dont want to buy one now then have to upgrade it 12 months after its installed. il be doing all the work myself i have 2 engine conversions and 1 turbo charger conversion under my belt but this is going to be my biggest project. plus as winter is here and that im getting close to my limited mileage policy what better excuse to have the zed in the garage over winter. heck ive even started welding classes at the college to brush up on my fabrication skills.

"i didnt even realise there was a vortech crew" :boxing:( I would say get him guys but it's a very small crew) :blush:

:lol:

Big single turbo will be great for torque - if it's a custom build you won't know how it will perform until you do but some wicked results to be had - good luck with it - do a build thread :thumbs:

Hi mate, I have a TT 350z and have done a fair (HUGE LOL) amount of research in the 350z with FI and the GT35r is a fine turbo mate, you can run safe at 4-6psi on a OEM motor for a while and then turn up to 15+psi when built.

If your building the bottom end Id say go for a billet 35r or 37r with a decent size hot side. Lags not much of an issue with 3.5L motor, Honda s2000 run gt35r's on a 2L motor!

Dont just look at garrett mate, check out borg warner and precision as they my have a decent option too :)

Have fun!

Ps. Try not to get boost hungry and blow your OEM bottom end so run light springs in the wastegate till your built. If you have any overboost problems you may end up losing the motor and your shiny new turbo too :(

Hi mate, I have a TT 350z and have done a fair (HUGE LOL) amount of research in the 350z with FI and the GT35r is a fine turbo mate, you can run safe at 4-6psi on a OEM motor for a while and then turn up to 15+psi when built.

If your building the bottom end Id say go for a billet 35r or 37r with a decent size hot side. Lags not much of an issue with 3.5L motor, Honda s2000 run gt35r's on a 2L motor!

Dont just look at garrett mate, check out borg warner and precision as they my have a decent option too :)

Have fun!

Ps. Try not to get boost hungry and blow your OEM bottom end so run light springs in the wastegate till your built. If you have any overboost problems you may end up losing the motor and your shiny new turbo too :(

thanks for the advice mate, what twins are you running? i did debate twins but its got its pros and cons. mainly for me was the fact that you need 2 of everything. is yours a custom tt you built yourself?

i cant see me getting boost happy it took me a while to learn how to drive the zed competently in its standard form after coming from a suzuki ignis :blush: so i can imagine at only 6psi it will be like learning to tame the beast all over again.

how good is the stock ecu tuned for boost, i was looking at i think a haltech platinum for the 350z

Forgive me as I am answering from my BlackBerry.

GT35 will run around 400bhp @ 5/6psi boost but you will need to tune the torque out of the motor.

We have run stock DE's to 450 hub bhp with S/C not turbo. But with carefully cam control calibration and boost control (don't just retard the ignition timing to reduce BHP) you be able to run 400bhp and 360lb/ft torque without any worries.

Stock ECU will run this okay very easily you need a Uprev AFM and we would prefer to run a fuel return system with larger injectors.

Any questions I am happy to answer as I feel Abbey have have a lot of experience tuning the stock 350z motors.

We tuned a APS twin turbocar last week stock motor remove the unichip and tuned the stock ECU with Uprev running o.6 bar boost we ended up with 395 hub bhp and 360lb/ft torque @ 5000 rpm which we are perfectly happy with on a stock motor.