Trackday fun

robzracing

makes a big difference with the weather being a bit rubbish/cold/greasy, looks like it was a good first shakedown though m8, looking forward to some more posts :)

come race next year its calling you ;)

Yes, when I watched your on board footage, testing at Brands I thought your car looked a handful on a damp track. Now I understand!! :wacko:

Apparently they are having issues with the surface at Brands due to the solvents they use to disperse the synthetic oils being used these days. It's due to be jet washed over the Christmas period which should improve things apparently.

good stuff, minus 6 is a tricky temperature, might have been faster on snow tyres! Still looks awesome fun though!

Come on Wasso, you know you wanna get Project BrilloWasso racing underway with an old beemer!

We have a stripped out 328i coupe too! Lots of fun and a bit more manageable than the zed :wink: And cheap as chips

And Brakes / Aero?

Depends what series you enter. Steve, aka MrLizard will be able to answer you better, but the Team Trophy which is the next step up from the track day trophy are classed by power to weight and not much, if anything else as far as I know.. Check out Steve's car though, he has non standard aero, brakes and wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed reading this thread. I've taken my car to Oulton a few times this past year and have now got the bug. It is pretty much standard but I have uprated discs / pads / lines / fluid and an exhaust :) with the cost of fuel / brake pads on each trackday i have spent the past few months trying to talk myself out of getting some adjustable suspension, but I might give in to the temptation next season.

None of my friends do track days or have a car that would last more than a couple of laps. which is rather annoying because i would like to have someone to play with :console:

I have seen a few Zeds on track before. notably one azure blue with an orange cage i think (May at oulton park) and one blue / white, with a spoiler it think (November at Oulton park). don't know if these are from anyone here.

I really want to try some new tracks but i live in south Cumbria so they tend to be a long drive.

Best of luck with your project. it looks promising and you seem to be a track day vet so I’m sure it'll only get better.

Just on a side note. Would it be a bad idea for me to fit coilovers without the camber / toe arms that everyone talks about? Just that the adjustment arms they seem to be quite expensive and i probably wouldn’t be able to afford the whole lot at once.

Chris

Edited by CrumbMC

Just on a side note. Would it be a bad idea for me to fit coilovers without the camber / toe arms that everyone talks about? Just that the adjustment arms they seem to be quite expensive and i probably wouldn’t be able to afford the whole lot at once.

Chris

No expert on these cars (yet :wink: ) but I would have thought just coilovers would be an improvement over the standard set up without the adjustable arms. Your money would be better spent on uprating the antiroll bars too which I'm sure would give you a noticeable improvement.

Suspension is next on our list, but Accusump is currently being installed so some pics of that will be up soon.

• 4 weeks later...

A quick update tonight.

Now the holidays are over it's time to get on with this again....

IMG_4796_zps6e112730.jpg

Made up some floors for the zed now which tidies things up a bit inside.

IMG_4799_zps1d3f0d7e.jpg

IMG_4810_zps0b56b0ec.jpg

Now, will the bonnet close if I put this here? :wink:

IMG_4838_zpsa5f6daaa.jpg

Accusump, about to be installed behind the bumper. But it's a tight fit! We'll see......

IMG_4834_zps2d2ac29a.jpg

To be continued.......

• 2 weeks later...

Currently looking at suspension options. If budget permits this is the favourite at the moment

ohlins-roadandtrack-coilovers_zps5eff02fc.jpg

If budget doesn't permit then a set of KW clubsports will do the job. I run these on my LCR and have found them to be excellent but I think the KWs for the 350Z convert the rears to coilovers instead of the separate spring and damper set up which is my only reservation. The Ohlins kit keeps them separate like the standard set up.

Any opinions on this are welcome.

Along with the coilovers we will also be doing ARBs adjustable arms and some degree of poly bushing although not sure how much yet.

In other news the Accusump is almost done. Mounted in the boot as there was no possible way it would go behind the bumper in the end. No big deal according to the manufacturers as long as the hose running from it is a large enough bore so I've upped it to AN10 and now just waiting for new hose connectors to arrive.

More pictures soon.

Edited by robzracing

Finally routed hose from Accusump in the boot through to the oil cooler at the front today. Still no hose fittings so that was as far as I could go today.

IMG_5053_zps13f6c593.jpg

After enlarging an existing but blanked off hole in the bulkhead, I used a cable gland to make a watertight seal through to the wheel arch.

IMG_5051_zps4dcbd3cd.jpg

and the other side....

IMG_5043_zpsdf0fbbc9.jpg

IMG_5037_zps93e785ba.jpg

This is all protected by the wheelarch liner. The rest of the route was straight forward although I may put a heat sheild over it where it comes close to the exhaust manifold.

• 3 weeks later...

So, it finally went here.....

DSC_0629_zps39ea4635.jpg

DSC_0604_zpsbb4b9b7b.jpg

DSC_0634_zps483445fa.jpg

and connection into the return side of the oil cooler with a non return valve.

IMG_5115_zps53cb44b9.jpg

And switch mounted leaving room for our traction control module coming soon.

DSC_0626_zps367f8a2e.jpg

Suspension next.

Had a good conversation with Mark at Abbey last night which threw up some more options, so final spec is still up in the air but I think we're getting closer.

Thanks to Steve at Lizard for putting me onto Mark. I'm sure he's helping me more than he should considering we might be competing against him one day! Or maybe he's cunningly leading me in completely the wrong direction ;)

Edited by robzracing

• 2 weeks later...

Some decisions have finally been made over the last couple of days and it looks like Mark at Abbey is going to get his hands on it for the suspension work. So we're going with the KW Clubsports, a rear camber kit, Poly bushes front and rear although we're only going to have the fronts fitted initially to keep the costs within our budget. I may tackle the rear myself in a few months time. ARBs and drop links complete the package plus full alignment and corner weighting by Mark ready for our next track day mid March.

However, apparently Eibach ARBs aren't in stock anywhere at the moment so it looks like H&Rs or Whiteline will have to do, although I'm not sure how much difference there is between them all. I need to do a bit of research.

If anyone knows where I might acquire a set (i.e. in stock) and if anyone has an opinion on the best ARBs I'd be happy to hear.

More pics soon.

So, thanks to Mitz at Cougar Store for these..... Fantastic service,as I have often read on these pages and a great price too!

IMG_5277_zpscb74a55a.jpg

Mark at Abbey is supplying everything else for the suspension and hopefully the car will be paying them a visit next week.

We've also just ordered Racelogic Traction control from Advanced Motorsport Engineering at Silverstone. So that should be with me ready for when the car returns and we can get it fitted before our next shakedown on 18th March at Brands.

So, fingers crossed all goes well. The car's taking some big steps now towards being ready. Not much more to do :)

• Like 1

This weekend managed to get the traction control installed. Very straightforward as Dan promised and a great bit of kit. Unless you really try to overcome it you can hardly tell it's doing anything. The good thing about ordering it from Advanced ME is that they do all the setup ready for the 350Z which has probably saved me hours of trial and error. The Racelogic unit is very tunable and there's plenty of scope to fine tune it as we learn more about it and how it effects the car.

it will be interesting to see how it helps at Brands next week.

Tomorrow I'm taking the car down to Abbey to have all the suspension fitted. MArk will then do all the geometry for us including corner weighting. Really looking forward to seeing how this changes the car.

IMG_5339_zpsdb6dd677.jpg

ECU unplugged

IMG_5341_zpsd2a931b6.jpg

plugged in to new harness and ready to fit back into car

IMG_5342_zps00176129.jpg

a quick test to make sure it all starts up

IMG_5346_zps6dc7a65a.jpg

wiring all run and controller mounted

IMG_5351_zpsc89fe7b9.jpg

All working