D.i.y window tinting? :D

ddcboyle

So after learning how to wrap, figured i might aswell keep doing my own D.I.Y teaching. Next step is doing window tinting, cant see it being that hard, just a pain until you get the technique as i found with the vinyl. Anyone done it before themselves?

Also looking at respraying centre console so its like a glass finish, so ill add those 2 onto my build thread once done :)

tinting is alot harder in my opinion well unless the tint film has changed in recent years windows need to be ubber clean, and its a b*tch getting the air bubles out, side windows should be easy the rears are always nearly a pita to do due to the size and curves but there is alot of black border on the rear zed window to lose the bubbles in, back in the day when tinting by hand the back always used to be done in 2 or more strips and you loose the join in the heating elements, i havent actually done it on a zed as mine came tinted so may be easier than the old cars i used to do it on and the tinting film may be better these days to

tinting is alot harder in my opinion well unless the tint film has changed in recent years windows need to be ubber clean, and its a b*tch getting the air bubles out, side windows should be easy the rears are always nearly a pita to do due to the size and curves but there is alot of black border on the rear zed window to lose the bubbles in, back in the day when tinting by hand the back always used to be done in 2 or more strips and you loose the join in the heating elements, i havent actually done it on a zed as mine came tinted so may be easier than the old cars i used to do it on and the tinting film may be better these days to

Im guessing the rear window heater still works when its tinted? And wont effect the tint?

+1, there is a real art to it :)

Tried this once on a peugeot 205 Gti. The side windows werent bad as they were litterally straight with no bends in them, but even so, it was a nightmare to try and get it on without any bubbles.

I have seen some film on the bay cheap and full DIY video guides which do make it look really easy! So i bought some film the other week and plan to have a bit of a go myself with it.

IMO, by the time you've paid for the materials and messed up a couple of times it's not worth the hastle (get a pro to do it). All that said i do know where you're coming from and the satisfaction of doing something yourself. :thumbs:

Edited by rothers2901

hexis do a range of tinting films and I think a kit to apply with as well can check for you if you like. I did get some samples as I looked at supplying it. but never got round to it. I watched the guy do my jag. it is an art, but a lot is down to technique. they cut and shaped the film externally on the window first. used liquid to get rid of bubbles, and heated the film with a heat gun to shape the film on curves. I would say if you can wrap you'll pick up the tinting skill quiet quickly.

hexis do a range of tinting films and I think a kit to apply with as well can check for you if you like. I did get some samples as I looked at supplying it. but never got round to it. I watched the guy do my jag. it is an art, but a lot is down to technique. they cut and shaped the film externally on the window first. used liquid to get rid of bubbles, and heated the film with a heat gun to shape the film on curves. I would say if you can wrap you'll pick up the tinting skill quiet quickly.

didn't know silently was part of the skill :p:lol::blush:

any idea how much itd be to get the tinting film and the tools, enough tint for 350z? I dont mind wasting a little bit if it means i learn how to tint windows. Worth a bash :D said that for the wrapping and went well with that (IMO) :p

wasn't silly money from memory can pm you details if that helps

A bit of johnsons baby shampoo in a spray bottle with some water. Spray the window first with the liquid then apply your tint working out from the center with as little bubbles as possible. Once your happy heat it throughout with a hairdryer/heat gun and push any air around (the heat will dry the spray we put on earlier and then make the tint "stick" with no bubbles).

Side windows are easy. Rear windows not so much unless you get a single piece of film. Attempting to join the film does not work.

Good luck!

Edited by adam1942