Do I need an aftermarket exhaust?

dErZ

The car has Berk hfc's, stiller Y pipe, K&N panel filter, '06 velocity stack and soon a plenum spacer. Is it worth changing the back box before getting uprev'd? I'm sure I read somewhere the standard back box is good for 400 ponies.

for power you dont NEED a new system. Mark at Abbey will happily tell you that you have already got rid of the most restrictive part of the exhaust system (the cats) and that the rest of the system is good for 400 ponies... BUT the rear box and rear pipe is a notorious weak spot and will probably rust through at some point (joint between pipe and box)

now you can either leave it as is and have your uprev now with the standard system but when your rear box fails you will prob want to replace it with an aftermarket jobbie and this may mean a reflash is best (not super expensive but not cheap either) or try and source a second hand standard system and wait for it to rust again

if it were me... learning from experience... get a replacement system then get the uprev as you obviously have the bug and will want to mod it later anyway so save some money and get it done now :lol:

from what i hear the Milltek system will sound good with the mods you already have :thumbs:

If you never ever ever have any intention of replacing the stock exhaust with anything other than like for like, then I wouldn't bother getting one.

However, if you consider yourself any kind of real car person then you MUST get a new exhaust. It's a fact that a 3dB increase in noise is worth at least 17bhp to the butt dyno ;)

Cheers everyone, I'll inspect the welds and then take it from there :)

A neighbour has scorpion exhausts on his Z and they sound nice. What I like about my current setup is its silent on the motorway and nice and raspy when you give it the beans.

Cheers everyone, I'll inspect the welds and then take it from there :)

A neighbour has scorpion exhausts on his Z and they sound nice. What I like about my current setup is its silent on the motorway and nice and raspy when you give it the beans.

If you like that then get a Milltek, still silent on the motorway but waaaay more throaty rasp when you give it the beans :cloud9::cloud9:

Find a clip of wasso car he still has standard back box but all other mods and up-rev :thumbs: but is changing soon i belive

Wasso has Motordyne ART decats and XYZ Y pipe with HFC, I've got the same and I'm pretty close if seeing Wasso this weekend falls through.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone is on about the exhaust sounding better aftermarket wise, but i think the little noise a std exhaust has when u rev, then calmsbdown and has a little brum brum at the end, aftermarket still retain that?

Apologies for my horrendous description lol.gif

I know the noise,mines lost that but gained a crackle/pop sound.

Everyone is on about the exhaust sounding better aftermarket wise, but i think the little noise a std exhaust has when u rev, then calmsbdown and has a little brum brum at the end, aftermarket still retain that?

Apologies for my horrendous description lol.gif

My nismo certainly does - moving off slowly in first it is really noticable, childish grin every time :)