looking at car with private plate

wizurd

It will be re-assigned it's original plates (usually), which is sorted by the person who wants to change the plates, so in this case the seller. So nothing to worry about in your respect, it will just come with standard plates (assuming he get's on with it, as it can take a few days).

It will be re-assigned it's original plates (usually), which is sorted by the person who wants to change the plates, so in this case the seller. So nothing to worry about in your respect, it will just come with standard plates (assuming he get's on with it, as it can take a few days).

just saw this now - so does that mean if i buy it i cant just have him put the old plates on and drive off? gotta wait for confirmation from the dvla first?

Had this with my car.

The seller transferred the plate onto their new car - but owing to the lead time, I drove with his plate on for a week or so.

The seller sends the info off to the DVLA who action the transfer and then he will be issued with all new paperwork (V5, MOT etc.) that he will need to pass to you. You then need to get new plates made up and remove the private plates.

You may well get the original plate that was on the zed prior to the private plate (I did) - but there is no guarantee.

Note that you shouldn't drive on the wrong plates - which can cause you a day or so delay depending on where you source your new plates from.

You could make all of this the sellers problem and swerve the cost of new plates and the effort of running around for it - that was my lesson learnt. You are the buyer - call the shots!

Cheers Chris.

So the seller can send off all the docs and sort all that then :-) I suppose if the cars all ok and the guy don't mind then i could drive on his plates until he gets all the paperwork back then i can swap the plates and give him his personal ones back hum. will see how the viewing goes first. First 350 ive seen so got to try to keep a level head.

Dan,

I have just been through this as a seller. If they want to keep their plate they should have sorted this before taking viewings really. The plate has to be transferred or put on retention and then the V5 needs to be changed and this takes a couple of weeks.

If the seller is happy for you to take the car with his plate on it should be ok. Not sure how HPI's etc work in that case but I don't think it matters, others on here may confirm this for you.

cheers Leeroy.

Once i've seen the car i'll have to ask the seller about what he wants to do with the car. If its good then i'll need him to confirm what hes gonna do with the plate. Dont really want to buy a car i can't drive for a couple of weeks.

Dan,

I have just been through this as a seller. If they want to keep their plate they should have sorted this before taking viewings really. The plate has to be transferred or put on retention and then the V5 needs to be changed and this takes a couple of weeks.

If the seller is happy for you to take the car with his plate on it should be ok. Not sure how HPI's etc work in that case but I don't think it matters, others on here may confirm this for you.

+1 Dan - this can take up to four weeks and is seller's responsibility if they want to keep their private plate

Your insurance company needs to know which is the valid plate at all times otherwise your insurance is void (and they will probably charge for changing the plate after you first insure the car).

Best to get it all sorted by the vendor before you complete the deal then you can exchange full payment and drive away a fully insured road legal car.

IMHO

I often change my plates and take the paperwork to a local DVLA office.

in Wimbledon.

However if you are unable to send them off do not send them to the Swansea office but this one.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/contactus/lo ... ffice.aspx

I know someone who works there and they told me that unlike Swansea they have not got a great deal to do.

I had a log book turn round in 4 days there and put a retention on a plate in 6 days.

Hope this helps.

Your insurance company needs to know which is the valid plate at all times otherwise your insurance is void (and they will probably charge for changing the plate after you first insure the car).

+1 although Sky INsurance were very helpful and agreed to waive the admin fee...but others may not be so flexible

cheers for the replies all. The seller was under the impression is wasn't a big delay to do but looking at your replies it might not be that quick. cheers for the suggestions on where to send the docs as well. He did agree that I could keep the private plate until the paperwork was sorted then swap it over assuming I bought the car. gotta post up about the car next and get some advice.