Working with carbon fibre

Ekona

As good a place for this as any, hopefully someone here will have a bit more knowledge on this than I do! :lol:

I've got a small piece (A5 size) of 2mm thick carbon fibre that I need to first of all cut to size, and then I need to cut a section of it out so I can fit something in there as well as mounting other bits to it. Never having worked with the stuff before, what's the best tools to use for this and how likely am I to crack it or just completely **** it up?

My theory would be to cut it using a dremel or similar, and the same again to take the section inside out. What about using self-tapping screws? Is that okay, or do I need to be drilling it and using a nut and bolt? What about gluing something to it: Superglue okay, or resin or a silicone-based product? Any hints and tips would be great, thanks. :)

Perma-grit do a range of dremel attachments specifically for composites, and they work a treat. For the sticking, any two-part epoxy should work on a keyed surface, although it depends if you want it to be structural or not. Can you tell us what it's for exactly? because then I could probably advise more specifically.

DB

It's to be used as a panel in a centre console to mount a set of window switches, a tiny digital clock and a mobile phone mount. The switch is the bit I need to cut out, the clock I'll stick and the phone mount I may stick or screw.

Something like this would be good for that: http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/products/structural-adhesives/semi-flexible-15min-epoxy-adhesive.aspx. For something that small you could just superglue it, but this stuff wont crack under flexing like bogo adhesives. I'm not saying buy it from these guys either, but it's the sort of thing you want.

As far as the cutting goes, if you use a dremel make sure to cut slow and keep the RPM high to avoid cracking. It depends on how the carbon fibre was made as well; if it was wet-lay then it'll be more prone to cracking than resin-infused or pre-preg material. Also remember to wear a mask and cover your skin when doing the cutting, carbon fibre lets off a fair amount of EXTREMEMLY itchy dust. I don't know if it's especially bad for your lungs but I never fancied taking the chance.

DB

Edit: I wouldn't recommend screwing through carbon fibre unless you know it's a high-quality part, as resin-heavy stuff could crack if you over do it.

That's ace, cheers bud :thumbs:

Not sure how it was made, bought it off eBay for cheaps on the principle that if it was rubbish then I'd just buy a new bit. Think I'll end up using the resin, save any issues with cracking,

Not sure how it was made, bought it off eBay for cheaps on the principle that if it was rubbish then I'd just buy a new bit. Think I'll end up using the resin, save any issues with cracking,

I'm sure DB know what he's talking about but don't forget Daryl works with it at McLaren too :thumbs:

best to treat cutting CF like working with acrylic sheet. it is after all a plastic at heart. the fibres just tie the resin together.

if your going to drill it i'd be using a stepped drill bit, or if the hole needs to be big, work up from a small drill bit. cutting shouldn't be too bad, if you have acess to things like a bandsaw etc will cut it just fine.

if you wanted to send it to me with a drawing of what you want cutting i can do it on the scroll saws or trim it with the kit i have a work. you can do it with a dremmel but you'll struggle to get a clean edge.

You've seen my handiwork, clean edge and me never go together! :lol:

like i said, either do me a dimensioned drawing, or make me a paper template, and i'll do it in the workshop. got bench mounted tools which make a job alot easier than using hand tools. or hand operated power tools.

need to check the hand book, but it might even be possible to laser cut it. just depends if it gives off nasty gases. i have a carbon keyring which has been laser cut so me thinks its possible. should leave you with ni on perfect cuts.

I've heard that while laser-cutting carbon fibre is perfectly do-able, it does usually leave some charring and possibly fraying on the cut edges. Never tried it (don't have a 1000w Co2 laser kicking around right now) but that's from pretty reliable sources.

DB

I'm sure DB know what he's talking about but don't forget Daryl works with it at Red Bull too :thumbs:

Fixed that for you Graham..... unless he's been poached :lol:

I'm sure DB know what he's talking about but don't forget Daryl works with it at Red Bull too :thumbs:

:lol::lol: that's your chance of a clipboard down the pan Graham :p

:lol::lol: that's your chance of a clipboard down the pan Graham :p

At the risk of sounding like Pete, "it's the painkillers" :lol: