what car do I get after a 350z

DAZ6618

Hi All,

I have dilemma, I'm going to be moving soon and I used my dads car to do my hobbies (fishing and kayaking). I need a car that's big to accommodate the kayak on the roof and my fishing gear, I was thinking of a BMW 530d ESTATE! Hurts to say estate, but I feel with a budget of 8k-10k that's my only option unless anyone else can influence me else where. The 530d seams to have the speed, although a cruiser rather than a blast to the coast kind of car like the 350z.

Thanks for reading

Darren

I take it you mean the 5 series from ~2000-2006? If so, they aren't all that reliable but fine for wafting about in. The diesel has lots of torque although be sure to research the common issues, of which BMW's from that era have a hell of a lot (self-destructing plastic swirl flaps on some diesel engines, front bushes, breaking sunroofs, leaking rads etc etc). I think newer ones are meant to be better.

Lots of torque on the diesel engine just don't expect it to be 'The Ultimate Driving Machine' Sadly this is a marketing lie, as I found out.

Some good points

I guess for 8k that's the age of car I will be looking at. A friend has 2009 530d and I love it.

I was thinking of a A5 to try and keep a coupe but they're too expensive at the moment.

I've been spoilt with 350, will be hard to see her go. I will drag my heels for aslong as possible

Thanks

I take it you mean the 5 series from ~2000-2006? If so, they aren't all that reliable but fine for wafting about in. The diesel has lots of torque although be sure to research the common issues, of which BMW's from that era have a hell of a lot (self-destructing plastic swirl flaps on some diesel engines, front bushes, breaking sunroofs, leaking rads etc etc). I think newer ones are meant to be better.

Lots of torque on the diesel engine just don't expect it to be 'The Ultimate Driving Machine' Sadly this is a marketing lie, as I found out.

If you are going to get a second hand diesel make sure that you get anything that could involve having the injectors removed to fix thoroughly checked out. We found out to our cost with Mrs. P's Honda that being unable to remove the injectors without breaking them is a pretty common problem with many modern diesel's. In our case it ended up meaning that what should have been a reasonably simple job of replacing the timing chain was going to cost more than the car was worth (3K+)

This may sound out of place but If you are going for practical on that budget I doubt you will get much that is exctiting and reliable unless you are looking at high milers.

I took the standpoint that as whatever I bought was not going to match the performance I may as well get something that was perfect at the job and was on budget. Which in my case was a qashqai.

I know its tempting to try and emulate the driving thrill but you may find when you look around you can get much more for your money if you are prepared to look at less "exciting" drives. its difficult to do but may be worth just seeing what else is out there :headhurt: Good luck!

That RS6 seems very good value :thumbs:

or Very dodgy!

RS6 with 56k on the clock for 8.5k..... something isnt right IMO!

Lots about mate....looks like it needs a little tlc to me (trim missing off bottom of boot lid).

I was gutted when I saw how much I could have got an rs6 for after buying that shitty merc.

4.2l V8 bi turbo returning 20mpg probably has a lot to do with the value!

Hugely expensive for parts those RS6s. Most are unique to the model. Awesome but I'd have the same again almost as a contingency!

Audi S4 estate.

BMW 330d estate

Discovery (with contingency)

Shogun

Etc etc