Blowout....

MrsNiki

Scary moment today, only had my zed for 10 days and had a blowout on the A90 north of dundee (on way to Aberdeen from Lincoln). My first big drive and the front drivers side tyre went at 65mph, scared the crap out of me!!

Any who, police had to come shut the lane as there was no hard shoulder, and being all girls I got the RAC to come change my wheel.

The tyres I had all round were Falken's, not sure specifics of what they are, but do I need to replace this tyre with like for like, and do I also need to do other side at same time? The tyres were pretty new, like had only been changed a few months prior to me getting car, so if I don't have to do both, I'd rather not..... Just need an honest opinion from someone who isn't a tyre fitter who wants money!!

Ta

Niki

Thats sucks. Glad your ok though, just north of me.

get the model name of the tyres or take a picture and put it up on here. It will most likely be fk452 or zeix912. I would personally just replace the one providing they are new but im sure SOMEONE ;):lol: might disagree :lol:

The guy who came out to change my wheel said it has been happening more and more recently, blowouts and punctures on that stretch of road....

Fortunately there was no damage to me, the car and even the alloy, just a wrecked tyre and a car that now stinks of burnt rubber! First time that has ever happened to me, so I'm sat in my hotel in aberdeen with a large glass of wine to sort my nerves out!

Will get a pic of tyre in the morning, but I figured it would be a like for like swap, and will only do one side.... For the mileage that the other tyre has done, I really begrudge changing it.

Cheers for advice :)

Most sidewall blowouts are caused by under inflation, the tyre overheats until it bursts and blows out through the weakest area...the burning smell is a pretty good clue as well.

Here's one I suffered in Colorado a few years ago, the car started acting strangely about a minute before it blew.

P7101956.jpg

Pete

Pete,

Thats is exactly how mine has gone, so that is most likely the cause.... Gutted about that as i checked all pressures before i set off....

Also discovered that my car does not have all Falken tyres, the one that blew was a Falken, but the other front wheel has a Bridgestone tyre on it..... So i've had a Bridgstone on to replace punctured one, however i will be saving my penny's up to go buy a new set of tyres all round, just to get some confidence. Not sure whether to stick with Falken's or whether to look elsewhere. Decisions decisions!!

Kind of depressing when my cars shoes cost more than mine :lol:

Pete,

Thats is exactly how mine has gone, so that is most likely the cause.... Gutted about that as i checked all pressures before i set off....

Also discovered that my car does not have all Falken tyres, the one that blew was a Falken, but the other front wheel has a Bridgestone tyre on it..... So i've had a Bridgstone on to replace punctured one, however i will be saving my penny's up to go buy a new set of tyres all round, just to get some confidence. Not sure whether to stick with Falken's or whether to look elsewhere. Decisions decisions!!

Kind of depressing when my cars shoes cost more than mine :lol:

:lol:

Lucky escape at that speed.... Well done for controlling the car, as I'm sure it was a scary moment.

Stick with the Bridgestone unless it's a RE040 in which case ditch them for the RE050A.

Shoes on Zeds aren't cheap that's for sure.