95ron fuel & engine malfunction light

samsniss350z

Hi all, i wonder if anyone can give me some advice. A week ago i mistakenly filled my tank with 95ron fuel, i didn't realise until i checked the receipt when i got home. I've been running the car gently to make space until i can top the tank up with 98ron but yesterday i noticed that the engine malfunction light had come on and has stayed on. The engine itself feels & sounds ok with no pinking or anything. Could the engine malfunction light staying on be a result of running the car on lower 95ron fuel than the recommended 98ron? I intend topping up the car with 99ron fuel tomorrow in the hope that it will mix with the fuel left in the tank and raise the ron rating slightly. I will do this until there is no more 95ron left in the tank. Any advice gratefully recieved. Thanks in advance. samsniss350z

I would be VERY surprised if its to do with the petrol ..I have had no issues with a 350 on 95 for 40,000 miles and currently run a 370 on 95 and no issue. The engine management does check for knocking and adjusts the ignition timing contstantly which is why its not an issue..although arguably there may be a SLIGHT reduction in performance. If I were you I would pedal dance and read the codes from the ECU and then you will know the problem.. good luck

I would be VERY surprised if its to do with the petrol ..I have had no issues with a 350 on 95 for 40,000 miles and currently run a 370 on 95 and no issue. The engine management does check for knocking and adjusts the ignition timing contstantly which is why its not an issue..although arguably there may be a SLIGHT reduction in performance. If I were you I would pedal dance and read the codes from the ECU and then you will know the problem.. good luck

The 370 has knock control at all rpm but the 350 hasn't I'm sure.

I don't understand why people spent 25k on a car and then grudge an extra couple of pence a litre on fuel. Amazes me.

This stuff has been checked by tuners, namely abbey motorsport who have had various engines fail due to wrong fuel and also checked for knock while on standard 95 Ron fuel and confirmed the 350z doesnt like it at all.

Why grudge a few quid a tank for what potential could be a fatal end to an engine

I don't understand why people spent 25k on a car and then grudge an extra couple of pence a litre on fuel. Amazes me.

This stuff has been checked by tuners, namely abbey motorsport who have a has various engines fail due to wrong fuel and also checked for knock while on standard 95 Ron fuel and confirmed the 350z doesnt like it at all.

Why grudge a few quid a tank for what potential could be a fatal end to an engine

350 only good to 4500 rpm I believe for knock control :)

This stuff has been checked by tuners, namely abbey motorsport who have a has various engines fail due to wrong fuel and also checked for knock while on standard 95 Ron fuel and confirmed the 350z doesnt like it at all.

Yep so I'm led to believe, I'm sure my ecu has it throughout as it's not standard but I still wouldn't risk it for the sake of a few quid

Yep so I'm led to believe, I'm sure my ecu has it throughout as it's not standard but I still wouldn't risk it for the sake of a few quid

+1 :thumbs:

neilP, it has nothing to do with a few pence, read the post properly and you'll find the word 'mistakenly' there's a big difference between being a tightwad and making a genuine mistake.

And if you actually read my quote you would see I'm referring to doctor Austin .. Thanks

Don't worry Sam this will now turn into a bit of a rant thread I expect like most fuel threads do. Iv'e always used Sainsburys super, occasionaly Tesco and the odd fill up or 2 with 95 and not noticed a difference or had any issues.

At the end if the day as long as everyone is aware of the possible issues it is up to them to run their Zed on whatever the like...

Thanks for all of the replies, i've only had my 350Z for two weeks so i'm a bit pi**ed that the malfunction light has decided to come on. It does have a full service record but that probably doesn't count for too much. A couple of replies have got me a bit baffled as i've never heard of a 'pedal dance', could someone explain what this is. I'm pretty good at street dance, but pedal dance? Can somebody please explain?

Thanks for all of the replies, i've only had my 350Z for two weeks so i'm a bit pi**ed that the malfunction light has decided to come on. It does have a full service record but that probably doesn't count for too much. A couple of replies have got me a bit baffled as i've never heard of a 'pedal dance', could someone explain what this is. I'm pretty good at street dance, but pedal dance? Can somebody please explain?

Here you go:-

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=55272

It looks really tricky but it isnt with practice, just use your phone to time the different stages and then to record the code ;)

It looks really tricky but it isnt with practice, just use your phone to time the different stages and then to record the code ;)

I always video the code. Makes it easier.

I always video the code. Makes it easier.

Yeah it is much easier unless you are brilliant at morse code :lol:

namely abbey motorsport who have had various engines fail due to wrong fuel and also checked for knock while on standard 95 Ron fuel and confirmed the 350z doesnt like it at all.

the engine that failed had been run on unleaded prior to arriving with us @ Abbey, seems it had had been run hard while running unleaded fuel , the early cars the DE and Rev Up motors only have knock control to around 5100rpm

lowdetknockwindowigniti.jpg

By abbeymotorsport at 2012-09-10

the knock control when the car hears knock(detonation) reverts to a retarded ignition map this is reset when the ignition is turned off and back on. The ignition isn't long termed adjusted ( By this I mean it wont remove ignition timing and keep this amount removed from the map)

Neil , do you have the new Haltech fully standalone ECU or the older Haltech that has to runt he stock ECU as piggy back? I thought only the newer Haltech had knock control?

The 370Z does have better knock control but running unleaded will loose a lot more BHP than you think, the car is designed to run on 98 octane fuel running, the 370Z knock control is a better system than the 350 as the Gen 4 ECU is a lot more developed than the Gen 1_2 ECU (DE and Rev up) and the Gen 3 ECU (HR) it will adjust ignition timing all the time with regards knock but the car isn't multi-fuelled tuned like other modern cars.

If I was going to run a 370Z on unleaded I would definitely have a few degrees timing pulled from the base ignition map so the car will tune to the unleaded fuel far quicker. The stock fuel map is very rich at full throttle so this isnt as much as a worry.

Back the main question thou , the knock control wont flag a CEL on the Zeds I just think the car has flagged a fault while you been running unleaded, get the code read , seems as he car are getting older and the lambda'a re degrading we are seeing more CEL code for rear O2 lambd'a's

It's the piggy back platinum pro system but I'm gonna rip it out and go for the syvecs standalone I think so I can do away with the seperat nos controller.

If I knew haltech were releasing a full stand alone system I would have went for that :doh: but I didn't lol

look in FAQ for ECU reset. All is explained :)