How to - Fit lowering springs

Niko

Hi all this will be my first guide if it's not pretty I apologise :D feel fre to amend anything admin

Firstly I'd like to say big thanks to Tarmac for the springs and awesome service.

First I removed the   for the  strut brace and loosened the 3 <14mm?> top mount  nuts and the <21mm?> shocker centre nut for the suspension. (hint, don't remove the centre nut for the suspension just yet! That would be painful!)

49e3dde5db51e0fddb72103b9e2481d8.jpg

Then jack up and take off the wheel.

Remove the <17mm?> anti roll bar drop link nut and move drop link out of the way. This gives the hub room to move downwards to remove the shocker later!  You'll need 2 x 17mm sockets to remove the shocker bottom bolt next.

Undo the 3 x <14mm?> shocker top nuts completely now, your suspension should be relatively free to move around now. We found this way best because it allows you to get a 14mm socket onto the top A-Arm bolts in order to remove them, without doing this first you can only just fit a spanner in there! (the arms attached to the bodywork just below the top of the suspension.)

After pulling the A-Arm away from its mountings, your suspension should be ready to remove.

niko2.jpg.fc5d2cd79dbc1d7885ad05aa94ec6093.jpg

When you get the shocker out, compress the spring with suitable spring compressors.  Once the load has been removed from

the top mount,  remove the 21mm top nut then you can pull off the top mount and dust cover assembly.

Then remove the old spring and undo the spring compressors (carefully!)

niko3.jpg.5411e565108f8a0099ba7f7e34d43127.jpg

Get your new spring and fit in reverse! Making sure its the right way around! On mine this was With the writing upside down on the springs...

niko4.jpg.c551fa49b0d3743260b5f2bef2cfce6e.jpg

niko5.jpg.f51d63f319bc1ec439d5b5e70d67a347.jpg

Follow the steps in reverse to install

For the rear it's even easier

For the rear just jack up take off the wheel

niko6.jpg.5376636cbe1084da81448011eb812a4d.jpg

Then with the 17mm take off the rear spring coupe bolt think I used a spaner too

niko7.jpg.9c7d9d84b9159e23636c5a22de95e73b.jpg

After that push down the cup beeing cearfull as the spring will be under tention, once youve relised the tention move the spring about and remove the rubber cone holding the spring good to have an extra per of hands to help you out, ones the spring is out take out the bottom rubber locator

niko8.jpg.60d3d02409fbf34a499b4e9c9263e803.jpg

niko9.jpg.bbe14b037a610496e8ff582463c29c7e.jpg

Fit the rubber cone and bottom locator and fit the spring back

niko10.jpg.f24ee942926484612556d6764804dd29.jpg

niko11.jpg.5bb84c82e155c1270ef5fa3860b7caab.jpg

Use a second jack to the cup and the spring into place then bolt everything back up

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

It took me about 40 mins to do one on the front. But it was my first time doing it. Ones id done the one side the other front was easy. The rear I did in 20 for botg sids

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

It took me about 40 mins to do one on the front. But it was my first time doing it. Ones id done the one side the other front was easy. The rear I did in 20 for botg sids

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

i d say that you dont smoke or drink as much coffee as Keyser and myself :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks good. I've bought some Tein springs. Havent got round to fitting them yet but now considering selling them and getting the K Sport if you think the quality is decent. Was a bit dubious about buying K Sport but the drop looks really good on yours. The Tein drop is hardly noticeable but I know the handeling and ride will be much improved.

Edited by L4V15

• 7 months later...

Yip, mark up the 3 nuts where they are ATM, then loosen the 2 outer ones by a thread or 2 then use the main middle adjuster nut to bring the brace in a few mm to remove some of the tension and it should slide right off :)

Any torque setting for the damper nut or just TIGHT. Was looking into the specific sockets you can get to hold the damper in place (sort of an oval socket) but they don't seem popular in the UK. It looks like an adjustable wrench will have to suffice in holding the damper rod still if i can't just buzz the nut off with an impact gun.