BT vision- any good?

LRF4N

Does anyone have bt vision? How does it compare to sky? I know this has been discussed before but that was last year

I'm not moving in to my house for a while but getting a lot of work done so I'm trying to get everything sorted to hide cables etc

Were not massive tv junkies so if we did get sky we prob wouldn't have a subscription with loads of channels. I'd only want sky sports for champions league and the odd premiership match. Not fussed about movies

With bt vision there would be only 2-3 channels I would miss personally but find it hard to merit the extra payments for sky. At £4 a month it is a good deal and on demand tv could suit us better. 

The other thing is we have bt infinity in our area so if I did get sky I would still want the broadband through bt. 

But some of the reviews of bt vision aren't great, some are fine

Not sure which to go for, don't wanna regret it then get sky in the future and have cables visible

I think when I was looking around at TV deals it seemed decent for what I wanted but the 2 year contract put me off massively, not sure if you can get 12 month one now?

Sky have a new broadband called "Sky Fibre", it's 40mb or 80mb unlimited. No download restrictions, no throttling at peak times, perfect if you download a lot. Not sure on BT's usage policy but a few ISPs have started throttling your connection if you download too much or have "unlimited usage" which turns out to be 50GB. Sky's unlimited really is unlimited, I've tested that :lol:

If you are getting Infinity then dont do it through BT, get it through PlusNet. Should be cheaper and their customer support is far far superior.

I currently get 40Mbps Infinity from them for £11.50/mo as a thank you for being on the trial of it in our area :yahoo:

I've had version 1 it a while ago, for the only reason that I got it for free with the broadband deal and there was no subscription. Basically I was getting a free PVR for watching Freeview channels. It was OK for that, and then there were some on-demand movies or programs that you could buy, though nothing very exciting and very limited selection. I never bought any of the subscription channels.

I think nowadays I would opt either for an off-the-shelf PVR with HD Freeview capability (i.e. no subscriptions) or I would go for a subsidised top of the line box like a Tivo or Sky HD with a good selection of HD channels. I couldn't bear watching SD anymore - not to mention paying for it! BT Vision doesn't do HD for freeview channels, and don't ever think you can watch good quality HD content live over broadband, it just won't happen. You can probably download stuff for hours and then watch it, but you'll be paying over the nose for it.

So it's a No from me

Virgin media? I'm a technician, and ATM, they are having really good deals. Loads of customers being Internet doubled in speed for free, upgraded boxes etc etc.

If your running cables in walls, put two in. One for a spare. Been to several houses and the cables cut somewhere and having to run cables round the room which looks awful.

I'm in the same boat to be honest.

I've plumped for Sky for tv and Infinity for Broadband. I'm actually having quite a bit done to my house before I will be ready for Sky to install their dish.....

So what I have done is had my electrician (possible future father in law) install the sky cables now, test and bury. There is no dish but I've weighed up where the neighbours dish is and gone from there.

The idea is the sky installer will want to run the cables on the outside in a messy manner this way if he wants to run his own cables to install i'll have him not clip them and pass them through the window.

My only concern is we will get an installer who wont be happy to do this, if thats the case then I'll have to have the dish mounted by a third party.

Also we were considering multiroom but decided not to so we have the 2 cables from where the dish will be run to where it will be in the lounge then taken the output up into an amplifier/distributer in the loft and then down to the bedrooms (all cables hidden in walls and flooring) and use magic eyes. We dont watch a lot of TV upstairs anyway so this was ideal for us... Sky wont be in HD where it's distriubted though although if you have freeview HD on the TV you can watch that way. You just need to buy the correct SKY friendly amplifier.

Thought I'd mention this as an option as you can run the cables now.

Good luck on the new house, exciting times :)

EDITED as I forgot to mention the magic eyes

I have BT and will be getting rid when I move house. My two main bugbears are that my router needs resetting most days, sometimes twice a day. Only seems to be when you are downloading big files, or watching something on catch up, that it crashes. It still annoying though, as you have to wait 5 minutes for it to reboot. The other reason I'm gettinmg rid is they don't offer any HD channels, which is pretty poor as HD has been around for a while now.

In their favour BT is cheap compared to Sky. I guess you get what you pay for.

Fodder: install the dish yourself, its dead easy especially if you have neighbours dishes in sight to base it off. Plenty of instructions/how-to's on the net. I did out with a quad LNB for FreeSat and ran it to the livingroom where we have a FreeSat PVR. No need to get Sky man to do it, when you call them, tell them you had Sky+ before and they will reuse the connections ;)

Fodder: install the dish yourself, its dead easy especially if you have neighbours dishes in sight to base it off. Plenty of instructions/how-to's on the net. I did out with a quad LNB for FreeSat and ran it to the livingroom where we have a FreeSat PVR. No need to get Sky man to do it, when you call them, tell them you had Sky+ before and they will reuse the connections ;)

Thanks Chris, I was coming to the same conclusion but if i can get a dish installed for nothing I'm willing to give it a go.

I'm sure my other half is beginning to think I'm a cheapskate :blush:

Talking of which i've just had it confirmed an energy supplier is happy to install loft insulation FOC - would have done cavity walls if i hadnt already had it ....... I'm not even using this one for my energy supply :lol:

Sorry LRF4N for taking the thread slightly offtopic, just hope some of the things I've learned are of use.

• 4 weeks later...

just an update.

I had Sky dish and HD box plumbed in last week. Works a treat, the installer commented about the cabling.... in a postive manner. he would have just taken direct route to the tv no matter where that was so if you do go SKY then get your cables plumbed in while you're having work done.

As far as the amp goes, that works very well. I ordered a SKY compatible amp (4 output) from amazon which arrived a day later, 2 magic eyes (need it for the office and one bedroom at the minute) and an extra SKY HD remote for £33 delivered.

You do have to google how to activate the 9v output on the SKY HD box but takes 30 seconds to do.

The magic eyes work brilliantly, although obviously no HD in the other rooms but the HD channels are still accessible and viewable. One thing which I had originally forgotten about is due to the sky being over RF you need to tune in an anaolgue channel to view, no big deal for me though.

As far as BT Inifinity goes I still have to wait until the end of the month.

Hopefully this is helpful and your house is coming along well :)

Cheers bud. I'm leaning towards sky or virgin as we have cable there. Iv got someone coming round to have a look at my options regarding wiring etc then il decide after I look more thoroughly into prices and value

House is coming along well thanks, my nephew (4 yr old) told me today that it's gonna be better than his house :lol:

Il get before/after pics when it's complete

Cheers bud. I'm leaning towards sky or virgin as we have cable there. Iv got someone coming round to have a look at my options regarding wiring etc then il decide after I look more thoroughly into prices and value

House is coming along well thanks, my nephew (4 yr old) told me today that it's gonna be better than his house :lol:

Il get before/after pics when it's complete

Thats good news, so glad I researched a little first. My electrician also happens to be my partners father so that helped immensly as I knew I could trust his advice.

As far as the pictures go, please do document for the future. I tried to but just never got time while the work was ongoing with my own work and trips etc.... also i dont have a wide angle lens so thats now on my shopping list :lol:

We also elected to leave the Kitchen and Bathroom alone so we could live with it for a while and see how things work (they are useable) I'm so glad I did this..... actually no i'm not as it's now plainly obvious we ened to extend the kitchen :lol:

Good luck with the move too :p