Second Hand Car Prices....

DoogyRev

Looks like I'll be selling my Zed in Canada then.

I'll be honest and looked at the 370 prices over ther, they're about the same as over here.

Havent got a clue why?

Yea, I have been looking at them too :blush:

Next year I will be getting something I think. We need a big old man truck first :yahoo:

Trouble is there are too many to choose from, then which V8 do you go for 4.2, 5.4, 5.7, 6.2 or the 7.3 :lol:

The cars aren't as stressed over there (not to stop start) and the weather is a lot better so the same car with similar age/mileage would normally be in better condition than the UK.

100k over here is the mileage where most people think the car has had it but over there that number is more like 250k.

From our experience living in Calgary the prices of second hand Japanese care are generally much higher than the domestic Dodge, Chrysler, etc. Quite a lot has to do with the perception of (and probably actual) build quality. They also tend to be rarer since being redneck country the locals like to support the local car industry.

I'm not entiriely convinced about the low stress for cars in Canada. Maybe so in the sticks, but commuting in Calgary in rush hour is every bit as bad as London so plenty of start/stop driving and just wait until you try starting an engine full of wax in when the temperature is -50C. The good side about buying a Zed there though is that it will only have been used in Summer :)

In texas where my dad lived for 10 years (now lives in upstate new york), the prices of cars like the zed were rock bottom. They were like $15k 4 years ago! I was well jealous!

That said, they were ten a penny down there...

I have 2 mates who live in Australia and they cant believe how cheap cars are in the UK. Over there they pay a small fortune for a pile of scrap.

+1 with that. If we ever relocate to Oz, we're taking our cars with us (1 private car allowed per person) as its cheaper to RORO them for a grand than sell and buy again. An equivalent 03 zed like mine is AU$25k compared to the £6.2k I paid 18months ago. Second hand cars are cheap here - just petrol and running cost is tragic in comparison.

That was well and truely stamped on a few years ago wrt Oz - only one private car every 5 years... also ownership in source country for 1year or tax is applied, and the person must be or become resident in Oz. This means private property is allowed, but business exports are subject to rules and costs. (sorry)