Selling My Zed :( - Is It OK to give out the VIN?

Mickeywheelspin

Hi,

I am reluctantly selling my Zed :( bad times! Usual story - shrinking wallet and growing family means I need more seats and more MPG!

Anyway, I'm being emailed by a chap (seems French but could be anywhere) who is asking questions about the car and now wants the VIN so that he can get a certificate of conformity. Is there any reason not to give it out? It's displayed on the car anyway, I'm just not sure how much information you can get hold of with a VIN...

I may be paranoid but Pistonheads seems to attract scammers. Just waiting for him to ask me to get a quote to export - seems to be the usual pattern from previous experience - which is the point at which I tell him to eff off.

Ta,

Mike

I have a friend who has a Fiesta its a 2008 or 09 I cannot quite remember but from the reg plate which is between the facelifts they order wrong parts etc, with the VIN they got the correct parts so not sure but It could give more information than a reg.

Absolutely no reason to give him the VIN.

No checks can be done with the VIN that can't be done through the HPI system using the Reg number.

Granted, but is HPI UK only? I assume that he's planning to export it if he's looking for a certificate of conformity.

You guys are generally thinking what I was thinking - you can see the VIN on the car so what harm can it do? You cant get any personal information from it (I think). It just seems odd that he hasn't asked for the reg, just the VIN. Suppose it's not as if he's after the serial number on the V5...

Why is selling cars never straightforward!

Thanks,

Mike

Yeah why not - it always gets me how frightful we get about Vins and Reg numbers.........its not like they're not displayed for all and sundry to see when we drive the car everyday!

+1

Realistically there is f*ck all he can do with the VIN - a full HPi asks for it as do many other buyers 'checks' :shrug: