1st Attempt at Wrapping!!

wackosr

Well, my drivers door handle was a state and I had been planning to sand/paint etc.

But I had an offcut of some black vinyl at work.

So I took off the offending article and had a play.

Unfortunately I didn't have a heat gun or hair dryer available, so I used the gas hob.

Not ideal as you can't localise the heat very well.

Results aren't terrible, but need to get some better grade vinyl in a matte finish.

Thinking if I do both handles I should probably do the air vents as well and maybe the centre console?!

Cheers guys.

Must admit the hod wasn't ideal!!

Codel, any pics of yours? Be interested to see, cheers.

flexib, of course. Think the missus will be taking it down there tonight after work.

If not, we'll probably be there in in Sat am some time!

Cheers guys.

Must admit the hod wasn't ideal!!

Codel, any pics of yours? Be interested to see, cheers.

flexib, of course. Think the missus will be taking it down there tonight after work.

If not, we'll probably be there in in Sat am some time!

Cool, giving blood tonight so prob skip the gym.

Will try and get down Saturday :thumbs:

Fantastic effort doing it over a hob! Going to rip off all the red carbon off mine today, dont like it!

oh no mate, thought it looked good when i saw it at the grasshopper meet. What are you going to do instead?

Black carbon, I know, its common as muck, but for some reasons it was a bit too red!

Fantastic effort doing it over a hob! Going to rip off all the red carbon off mine today, dont like it!

oh no mate, thought it looked good when i saw it at the grasshopper meet. What are you going to do instead?

Black carbon, I know, its common as muck, but for some reasons it was a bit too red!

Black carbon is good, got it all over my car lol. I know where your coming from but personally thought it looked great, but then again it isnt my car :D

Results aren't terrible, but need to get some better grade vinyl in a matte finish.

i can get you decent grade Hexis Matte black vinyl :thumbs:

Thanks.

I don't suppose you have a pic so I can get a feel for it?

Cheers

Got around to doing the steering wheel ... didnt remove the parts, just a hair dryer, an extension lead, a craft knife and my oyster card!

photo3-4.jpg

edit: yes I know the words are covered, but its ok, I can remember them before the comments come!

Got around to doing the steering wheel ... didnt remove the parts, just a hair dryer, an extension lead, a craft knife and my oyster card!

photo3-4.jpg

edit: yes I know the words are covered, but its ok, I can remember them before the comments come!

That looks awesome :thumbs: nicely done

photo3-4.jpg

photo3-4.jpg

Looks brilliant.

How did you get it so neat around the edges? Was it the Oyster card you used to press it down round the sides?

Just cut it roughly to shape - get it stuck onto the flat front and top of the part trim back excess leaving about 1/2 inch all round- then plenty of hair dryer action to get the edges nice and pliable - oyster card then to push them into the gaps on top and on the front - more heat and rubbing of the edges to get em smooth - then turn the steering wheel 180 degrees and heat and tuck the bottom in the same manner.

More heat on the front then and plenty of thumb pressing to get the edges showing through the vinyl - craft knife to CAREFULLY cut into the gap and around the button then remove the bits covering the buttons - more heat and press on the inside edges so its again flattened and looks flush :thumbs:

There is a guide on here for removing those parts I think but it means disconnecting battery, clearing the car of any remaining electricity so that when you remove the wheel you dont set off the airbag. There are two bolts on the back once the wheel is off you need to remove to get those parts off. Doing it in the car though only took about 20 mins.