Novice trackday question...

Leeroy

I'm hoping to do a trackday in the next couple of months, I've had a search around and probably can't see for looking but I'd like a bit of advice.....

It's my first trackday so I think I'll play it safe and do a novice day, can anyone recommend a particularly good organiser and track? I'm based in SE London but am happy to travel within reason :drive1

Bookatrack. You won't find a better TDO in the country IMHO. Johnny doesn't take any crap so they're as safe as possible, but very friendly and laid back as well.

That said, BaT don't do Bedford which is by far and away the safest track in the UK, albeit a bit flat. They do do Anglesey though, which is almost as safe and 100% more fun, well worth the travel.

Bookatrack. You won't find a better TDO in the country IMHO. Johnny doesn't take any crap so they're as safe as possible, but very friendly and laid back as well.

That said, BaT don't do Bedford which is by far and away the safest track in the UK, albeit a bit flat. They do do Anglesey though, which is almost as safe and 100% more fun, well worth the travel.

+1 I've done Anglesey a few times with BookaTrack, the first time being my first ever track day and it was excellent. Low numbers and no idiots.

I went to Bedford Autodrome a few years back and was great fun. Lot's of grass surrounding most of the track as well so if you do come off not a lot to hit!

think it was through a company called MSV??? look for open pit lane day

Yep, I did Bedofrd through MSV and thought it was very good. It was an open pitlane and wasnt divbided by experience, but the track is big and wide enough that you shouldnt have any problems :)

Many thanks. Anglesey does look awesome, the Fifth Gear features there always looked fun. I'm also keen to try Cadwell, I really like the look of the 'B' road / mini nurburgring thing B)

Bedford looks the way forward for now though, i'll try to sort an evening soon......

Cadwell is a great track, although IMO not good for novices - its narrower than other tracks and with a lot more elevation change to deal with as well.

The owners of Bedford have spent a lot of money on the facility so would be my best choice.

Another option for you might be to try motorsport events http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk as they do a lot of airfield days around the southwest/bristol area - a lot of the surfaces are still good as some of the tracks are still commissioned RAF airfields, and they have acres of tarmac, followed by acres of grass if it does go pear shaped. The day I went on only had around 15-20 cars, which had thinned out quite a lot by the afternoon, so could get a good few entirely uninterrupted laps in.

Cadwell is a great track, although IMO not good for novices - its narrower than other tracks and with a lot more elevation change to deal with as well.

I know, I think I'll leave that until I've done a couple of trackdays ;)

Another option for you might be to try motorsport events http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk as they do a lot of airfield days around the southwest/bristol area - a lot of the surfaces are still good as some of the tracks are still commissioned RAF airfields, and they have acres of tarmac, followed by acres of grass if it does go pear shaped. The day I went on only had around 15-20 cars, which had thinned out quite a lot by the afternoon, so could get a good few entirely uninterrupted laps in.

Sounds good, I'll look into it :thumbs:

Buy better brakes. :thumbs:

I had Brembos, Ferrodo DS2500 pads and DBA 4000 series discs and it transformed the experience.

Lots of BMW, Porsche, 370Z and TVR drivers in cars much more expensive than yours will wave you by enviously on the straight after getting sick of you sniffing their arse for lap after lap. :wave:

PS - If you haven't got Brembos, I'm selling mine today. For sale post to follow..............complete with DS2500 pads and a spare part-worn set. And HEL lines. B)

My first track day was with MSV on one of their novice only days,and spent the morning driving around with the TC on,so i knew id be safe ish. Did 2 laps after lunch and turned it off. Bedford is a great track as people have said,wide track with lots of run off. On site fuel as well,which yes is expensive,but factor in going to the local to get some and its no different. Very friendly and proffesional bunch MSV. Next time i go,i may pay to have half hour with an instructor,as my mate did,and said he was so much better and faster after. So well worth it. Just makesure brakes are good,fluids etc are as they should be before you go. Met a lad at one day that showed up in his 350,did a couple of laps and realised his brake pads were non existant,so that was a waste of time.

If you have experience driving on the limits then i wouldn't worry about booking on an open pit lane day as opposed to a novice-only one. You will soon develop reasonable pace and, in my experience, other track users generally stick to the rules regarding overtaking etc. Just be observant of other drivers and when your learning the track be prepared to let other drivers past.

A small tuition session on your first outing at a track would be a wise choice.

Definitely change your brake fluid before you go. I did it myself with a 6 quid bleading bottle, an 11mm spanner and some how-to youtube vids. it's a lot easier than you might think. My first track day i had the brake fluid in that came with the car. after 3 laps it was boiled and i would have to come in to let it cool. was quite annoying when trying to build a good rythem and scary the first time it happened :drive1

Also monitor how much is left on your pads throughout the day. they wear faster than you might expect.

I wish i started doing track days sooner. don't put it off. it's the most fun you can have with your pants on!!

Maybe worth mentioning track insurance at this point too. It's far from a must-have, and it's not exactly cheap unless your insurer can add it to your policy, but it's something that I would no longer consider an option personally. It's not my driving I'm worried about, it's someone else being an idiot or having a mechanical failure (like the poor chap had on here recently that ended up with him writing his car off) that puts you into a barrier at speed.

I don't have track cover for the MX5 as its only worth about £7.50, but no way I'd track the 911 without it. If you've got a nice slush fund then maybe not worth it, but if not then ask yourself if you're happy taking the risk. All that said, I've never personally witnessed a car to car incident at a TD, and only a handful of car to scenery ones, so they are rare but it's worth thinking about IMHO. :)